Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding Pressure to PT's, so 30 min sections?

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
in General 1270 karma

After taking the LSAT a few times, I feel like the self-imposed pressure of the real tests has caused me to rush during the test. I've had trouble simulating the actual nerves on the test. I'm too relaxed during PT's. Truthfully, that relaxation is what I'd like to achieve, since it has helped me score high PT's. And I'll think some more on that. However, I want to shake it up a little. I am thinking of trying all the section in 30 mins. Obviously, there is a point where this becomes absurd. How about 25 mins? How about 20? I'll play around with it, but any thoughts on how to ramp up the pressure in PT's so that it can feel closer to a real test?

Comments

• SamiSami Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2018 10801 karma

I think try as we like we cannot ramp up the pressure that much. If you take the section in 30 minutes, its not going to be an accurate reflection of your score regardless because those 5 minutes at the end can sometimes mean the difference from going from -4 to -2/-1.

Here is what I think you can do:

Build routines in your individual section that allow you to decompress. In between every page turn, put your pencil down and take a breathe and exhale slowly. This helps you exit fight and flight mode that is the culprit of so many errors on the real take and lets us relax and focus.

You can also focus on having a solid form no matter what. Were you moving on too quickly or too slow from the questions during the test?
    If too quickly, then you want to watch yourself on a video taking the test and write down your thoughts every time your picked or moved on from an answer. If you were moving on too quickly during the test you may have been moving on at 70% confidence and on the practice test you move on at 90% confidence. This gives you a solid form.
    Its very similar to you moving on too slowly. Maybe you were reading stimulus after each answer choice or not moving on at 50-50, or not moving on at 90% confidence. Having those markers at which you make yourself move on from a question gives you an objective reasoning during the test than letting those feelings of anxiety dictate what you should do. It also helps you stop and do something you wouldn't do on a practice test. If you don't re-read the stimulus after you have eliminated all answers, and you have that as a solid form, the minute you deviate from that strategy on the real test you will know and stop yourself.

Having a strict form leaves no room for feelings during the test to make that decision for you.

I hope this helps. Good luck!