Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick LOR question

doyeradoyera Alum Member

I used to work with an attorney who agreed to write an LOR for me. We weren't employed at the same agency but did a lot of work together and served on some of the same committees. She left her position not to long ago to serve as an assistant director at one of the schools I'm applying to, so she wrote the letter for me on the school's letterhead.

I also asked for my last two supervisors to write me letters, which they both agreed but haven't submitted yet, which as you might imagine is causing me some anxiety. I had planned to submit my academic LOR and the attorney's LOR to this one particular school, but I'm wonder what the community thinks? Does it seem like it'll matter that one of their own staff wrote me the letter (and I believe it's a pretty decent letter)? Or would they prefer to hear from my actual employer instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hm, interesting situation. I feel like ideally you could have the academic one, and one of those supervisors. I might submit that attorney/school person only to the school where they are employed. Will they take 3 letters? I do think though that most schools would prefer a direct supervisor over someone who you just sometimes worked with.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    edited February 2018 47 karma

Thanks for your response! The school only takes two letters unfortunately. This was the only school I had planned to send her letter to, but then I thought more about it and wasn't sure if that was the best course, since she wasn't a supervisor and I only get to send one non-academic letter. On the other hand, I think it's a good letter and it's on their own school's letterhead. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that will actually make a difference.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I guess I would probably trust your recommender's judgement and they seem to think its a good idea since they wrote the letter.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

Just discovered my question is irrelevant. Once I started doing the application I see that I can actually submit up to 4 total letters. facepalm