Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Analogy vs example

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So i think i have a pretty good understanding of the difference between an analogy and an example. But i ran across a question in LR that hinged on the difference [PT53.S3.Q24] and although i chose the correct answer i had to think for an extra few seconds about it. I wanted to ask if anyone could draw a binary cut between them. So i dont find myself second guessing again.

Comments

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

Thank you for posting this because I thought I knew the difference between an analogy and example, but apparently i did not. I spoke with my friend about it for about 15 minutes and what we came up with is an analogy refers to a comparison of similar things used to simplify an argument. An example is a specific case centered around a persons argument. So, I look at the argument to see if it uses a different scenario to prove another scenarios conclusion (an analogy) or does it just look at a specific case of the argument to try to prove that conclusion? In this problem, the professor is comparing soda with other drinks, but their still just all drinks, so I took that as an example. The professor is not using drinks as an example to support another conclusion about food, for example. He's just saying this is the conclusion I believe to be true, here's an example using drinks. I hope this helps, I realized at the end of writing this I was more writing it out to solidify my own knowledge since it was clearly lacking.

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

An analogy is where the quality is similar, but the thing being analogized isn't part of the same group. I try to think if it as an explanatory metaphor or simile.
    An example draws from the group (category, history, etc.) under discussion.
    If the new thing referenced is a kind of the thing under discussion then it's an example.

Hope that helps :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Analogy: Life is like a box of chocolates.

Example: You never know what you're going to get in life. Forrest, for example, didn't know he was going to become the captain of a shrimp boat.