Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Im late applying for law school!

paytonrachel11paytonrachel11 Free Trial Member

I was planning to take the lsat in December, knew I wasn't ready, and postponed until February. I'm content with my score but I didn't get a "get into any school you want regardless of when you apply" type school, you feel me? When I was preparing for the LSAT people loved giving me "law school" advice but not once did I hear about how rigorous the application process would be. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it'd be a cakewalk, but it seems like every time I think I can send my application in there's some new information I need to add, overlooked, or just didn't know regarding law school. When planning for the lsat, I had a mental calendar: first focus on the lsat, then focus on schools/applications. Only problem is that by postponing my applications and school searches I got WAY behind and have missed deadlines. On top of that, my undergrad university didn't actually graduate me until December, waiting for my transcript to get finalized, and now waiting on it to be reviewed and approved by lsac. My letters of recommendation came in later than expected but I didn't realize that I myself couldn't submit them. I'm freaking out guys! I don't usually post so I guess everything is just spewing out at once, sry. I really want to enroll this fall but I'm not sure what else to expect. On my applications (from my understanding) it looks like I can submit them without having my LOR and Transcripts processed but that doesn't seem right. If I send in my app now will they just receive the additional information once processed or will/should I just wait? Looking for a light at the end of this tunnel here!

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 891 karma

Hey! I know this may not be the news you wanted to hear but I would honestly wait until next cycle. Its less than a year from now that you will start the application process anyway. I know you wanted to go this fall but it is just not worth the stress and it still looks like lots of stuff are up in the air for you. Get a job (even if it’s part time, but ideally full time) Law schools look favorably upon work experience post college anyway. Then, be more organized for the next cycle. Look at deadlines and requirements ahead of time and plan backwards from there. Lots of deadlines from this cycle will apply for next year so you will get a good idea. Then, you’ll be able to even apply early! :)

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Wait another cycle. Apply in the fall.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. If you want to apply now call the schools that you want to apply to and ask them if you can still apply even though you missed their deadlines. I think you will be surprised at how many schools will allow you to apply after their deadline.

Now, even if they say yes and you apply now, I'm not saying you are home free. It is still very risky b/c its toward the end of the cycle so you may not get in. It is also risky b/c of the little scholarship money left late in the cycle. However, if you want to take your chances and can afford the application fees, then I say do it. Classes don't start until mid-late August. I say, if you want it, then work for it but be prepared to not get in. If that happens then apply in September for next cycle.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

You need to reapply. This cycle is already competitive as is for those who submitted early. You are doing yourself a disservice by applying late and losing out on offers and scholarship money.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority. If you want to apply now call the schools that you want to apply to and ask them if you can still apply even though you missed their deadlines. I think you will be surprised at how many schools will allow you to apply after their deadline.

Now, even if they say yes and you apply now, I'm not saying you are home free. It is still very risky b/c its toward the end of the cycle so you may not get in. It is also risky b/c of the little scholarship money left late in the cycle. However, if you want to take your chances and can afford the application fees, then I say do it. Classes don't start until mid-late August. I say, if you want it, then work for it but be prepared to not get in. If that happens then apply in September for next cycle.

Yes the real risk of applying late is that you get in, get ripped off as far as scholarship money is concerned, and are not willing to turn down offers in hand to wait another year.

If you trust yourself to carefully evaluate the offers and see if they are comparable to the top end of what others with your numbers frequently get usimg law school numbers all you have to lose is your deposits and you might as well apply.

If you don't trust yourself to do that, then applying now and attending with a lower scholarship than you should get could be the worst financial move of your life.