Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG timed practice

PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Technical Problems 162 karma

I was wondering if anyone time their LG problem sets right from the start. I have encountered a problem with In-Out games. I cant seem to get any inference, or I am making too much that it eats away the time. I have been timing myself with every problem through the course just to get a baseline of how long I do these problems. averaging about 10-12 mins which is pretty long. Although I do make sure to check the other answer choices even if I circled the correct one. I am just getting really discouraged.

The way JY teaches LG is to make the inferences up-front to save time answering questions. I used to just brute force my way in each question ( I know thats not a smart thing to do). So I am changing the way I approach the problem.

My question is, I know JY has a "Fool-Proof technique" video for LG mastery. Has anyone tried this and gotten big improvements? What were your techniques? Do you do the inferences per rule? or Do you read all the rule then start the inferences? Its just that, time-wise I know memorizing inferences for a specific game would reduce it after n-th time of doing the same game. But is this assuming that LSAT will make the same game format and thus, it would feel like "Ive seen this before " therefore "Ill make the same inferences (slightly tweaked) as JY did?

Comments

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

Practice practice practice. I did my very best to refine (untimed) how I solved the game before watching the solution. This way I maximized the reasoning burden on myself. I then would synthesize my solution with jy’s to come up with what I thought was the most efficient solution for myself. From there, I’d foolproof to get the speed. I recommend timed first always. Think it’s improtant to be constantly simulating test day pressure.

I think your questions about drawing inferences from the rules will resolve by just doing a bunch of games. Sometimes I will automatically draw an inference while reading rules and don’t want to forget the inference so I write it down. I probably write down all the rules before making inferences the majority of the time.