Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dwindling scores: To be expected or not?

JDHopeful-1JDHopeful-1 Free Trial Member
edited April 2018 in General 9 karma

Hi guys, I am mostly just wondering what others’ experience was and whether I should be thinking about changing techniques/getting a tutor or whether this is to be expected. I have been studying for a June retake and have taken 4 prep tests so far, scores have been: 163,162,166 and 163. As you can see they’re kind of dwindling within a certain range. I am hoping to get to the 168-170 range by June and am wondering whether to put any stock in the fluctuation in scores or treat it as normal? From BR (ranges from 169 to 174), I’ve realized that my biggest problem right now is timing (missing questions I would’ve gotten right simply because I never even read them) and then making some stupid errors. Wondering what your experience was in increasing your scores.

As always, thank you for your insight!!

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Well, I wouldn't use the term "dwindling" to describe your scores. They seem to be gathered around a fairly consistent norm (i.e. your average does not appear to be decreasing). :smile:

What is, approximately, your score breakdown for sections? Also, do you have any strategy in place for skipping?

If you're average score is around 164 and your BR average is about 172, then it might be a good idea to do some untimed drilling to make sure you have your fundamentals down. This can help especially if you're feeling rushed so that you can confidently choose an AC without spending too much time deliberating between tempting ACs.

On the plus side, getting into the 168-170 range doesn't sound unreasonable. :smile:

• JDHopeful-1JDHopeful-1 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    Well, I wouldn't use the term "dwindling" to describe your scores. They seem to be gathered around a fairly consistent norm (i.e. your average does not appear to be decreasing). :smile:

What is, approximately, your score breakdown for sections? Also, do you have any strategy in place for skipping?

If you're average score is around 164 and your BR average is about 172, then it might be a good idea to do some untimed drilling to make sure you have your fundamentals down. This can help especially if you're feeling rushed so that you can confidently choose an AC without spending too much time deliberating between tempting ACs.

On the plus side, getting into the 168-170 range doesn't sound unreasonable. :smile:

My breakdown is, on average:

-4 per section in LR
    -1.5 in LG
    -5 in RC.

I think untimed drilling is definitely called for. Thanks for your advice!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What tests did you take? Which years are they from? Alot of people experience a drop in the recent exams