Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how/where to study

GeorgeDeGaulGeorgeDeGaul Member
edited April 2018 in General 6 karma

My house is filled to the brim with distractions, and at times I go to a local cafe to study for hours on end, but I'm debating whether it is worth it to go to a place with less distraction for more focused studying, or should I stay put at home and practice testing despite loud noises, conversations and a great deal of general noise outside? Any and all strategies are appreciated.

Comments

• natedawgnatedawg Alum Member
    57 karma

Hey GeorgeDeGaul,

If it really comes down to one or the other, I would go with the local cafe. It's quieter, more conducive to studying, and, of course, there's that blessed smell of brewed coffee.

If you wanted to study somewhere louder, I would:
    - Invest in some earplugs to cut out the noise at least when you're taking a PT or drilling.
    - Study when it's more quieter at home. Generally this is at night considering most are sleeping or are winding down.

Lastly, communicate with those you live with and work out a compromise. Let them know the importance of this test and it's implications for law school, your future, etc. At the end of the day, this test is important and you need to exhaust any and all effort to set yourself up for success.

Good luck.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I suggest getting some solid headphones and a Pomodoro timer app or actual tomato timer. Plug in some classical music and zoom in on the work.

I prefer not to study at home because there are just too many distractions.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

I'd skip the earplugs and study at home. The test day may have distractions too so you might as well be ready.

• T. ManusT. Manus Free Trial Member
    20 karma

Would doing a mixture of both, be of benefit to you? It seems so to me...

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited April 2018 2531 karma

Study at the public library. The occasional noises will be similar to test day and you will have the benefit of study rooms and a quiet academic space.

Also, look into mindfulness meditation. 20ish minutes a day helped me concentrate on LSAT material even in distracting situations.