Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Predictive" Practice Exam Scores

nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 7965 karma
Hi y'all—at what point would you say a relatively consistent range of PT scores can be said to be "predictive" of a test day score? For instance—after how many tests or how many months of intensive study should practice exams be considered representative of likely LSAT performance?

This question is intended to open discussion—there are no easy answers to this and it's likely case to case. Just looking for a range of opinions/experiences.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I'd say at least 10 PT scores with a fairly narrow variance range. Also, a good chunk of those PT's in the more modern tests like PT 65+.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    eh a few in a row is decent, Id say starting at 3 +/-1 variation isn't bad, obviously becomes more and more the more tests in a row are in that range... tho test day is hard to fully simulate so there can easily be more variation on test day
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited February 2015 938 karma
    I second what @jdawg113 said. I had about four PT's with pretty consistent scoring (156, 157, 156, 157), about 2 weeks before the test. On test day I did not score anywhere close to those numbers. Test day is completely different. When I studied I used mechanical pencils, never printed the tests out and just did them straight from my computer. I made sure there was no noise going on around me either. This was my biggest mistake.

On test day everything felt foreign. The #2 wooden pencils, the test booklet, the atmosphere all threw me off. On top of that, there was plenty of noise. There was a high school debate with a mic and sliding chairs in the room next to us. There was also a girl behind me who sounded like she coloring a coloring book (she crossed out answers in such an obnoxious/nervous way). I won't completely blame these factors as to why I performed poorly compared to PTs, but they played a great factor.

If you want a more realistic estimate, take exams at a local coffee shop or library where some noise will occur. Use a real #2 pencil, print the pages out and make it as booklet like as possible, and also give yourself the 15 minute break you need after section 3. Add a 5th section from previous PTs you've taken (I do this as a way to go over past problems I've gotten wrong and keep my mental stamina up, plus I don't waste a section of a PT I haven't taken). Once you've taken enough exams in this setting, you'll have a pretty good estimate of how you'll perform on test day.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I would say, if you're doing your preps under the strict testing conditions, then a average range of 4-5 of your latest prep tests would probably be indicative of your score :). I don't think length or amount of studying done is a good indicator at all.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Basically when you're at the end of your studying and are ready for the LSAT take the avg of the last 3 PTs you've taken and that's what you'll make on test day +/-3 points is what you'll score.

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Ya, I'd second the above comments. Provided that they are recent tests, and are being taken under test-like conditions, 4 or 5 tests should reflect your current score.

However, as others have mentioned, the test itself can result in a score drop. This is largely dependent on how you are as a test taker and handle the accompanying stress. This can be reduced, though, by simulating test conditions as closely and as much as you can when taking practice exams.

Also, if the group of scores vary greatly, then that range of scores will not be as valuable as a predictor of your ultimate score.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    @nicole.hopkins ... your score will always fall within a certain range depending upon your prep... but after you have given a couple of tests, you can... and JY does say this often... take the average of your last 3 tests... your LSAT score will be +/- 3 of that score. This is however a measure of what you will get if you take the LSAT at THAT time... not what you can get if you spend more time prepping etc.