Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT/Admission Advice

CrispyCritterCrispyCritter Free Trial Member

Like many other users have recently posted, I am grateful for this community and the great discussions and resources it has provided fore me.

To give some background, I scored a 177 on the Sep. LSAT and will be attending HLS in the fall. I was someone without any real connections in the legal community and who could not afford to spend much on LSAT/admission prep (I'm a free user on 7sage and spent money only to purchase preptest bundles).

I have been very fortunate this cycle and I wanted to give back by offering advice on any LSAT or admission related topics. I am certainly willing to read over any app components or provide tutoring/support to those currently studying for the test. I would also be happy to simply go over things I wish I was told before I went through the application process. Feel free to comment with questions or message me!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

You rock! Thanks for doing this!!

• MicolashMicolash Member
    218 karma

Thank you so much for this!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

How long did you study? Did you work full or part time while studying? How many times did you take the LSAT? When did you apply?
    Also, congrats on kicking ass at life.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Congrats on Harvard! What was your diagnostic and how did you study?

• demiiisodaaademiiisodaaa Alum Member
    131 karma

I also don't have connections to the legal community. Having said that, I'm wondering if you were able to have someone read over your personal statement and give you advice. I am assuming that you didn't spend money on consulting so I'm curious who you asked to read your stuff. I'm looking to apply upcoming cycle, and that's the stuff I'm wondering. Do I ask someone in my peer group, or someone who is in a professional field, even if it's not in law? Thanks for your thoughts. And congratulations!!!! :)

• CrispyCritterCrispyCritter Free Trial Member
    155 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    How long did you study? Did you work full or part time while studying? How many times did you take the LSAT? When did you apply?

@Emily2122 said:

Thanks guys! My diagnostic was 157 and I took the test twice: 170/177. I applied in mid Dec. I studied for about 6 months total (from March to the Sep test). During the spring I was in school and working about 15 hrs/week. Over the summer I was working about 30 hrs/week. I started my studying by first focusing for about 6 weeks just on logic games, since this was the part of the test most foreign to me. For the rest of the time I would take1 pt/week and drill for a couple hours about 4 days/week. I relied only on the LSAC's official10-test bundles.

155 karma

@demiiisodaaa said:
    I also don't have connections to the legal community. Having said that, I'm wondering if you were able to have someone read over your personal statement and give you advice. I am assuming that you didn't spend money on consulting so I'm curious who you asked to read your stuff. I'm looking to apply upcoming cycle, and that's the stuff I'm wondering. Do I ask someone in my peer group, or someone who is in a professional field, even if it's not in law? Thanks for your thoughts. And congratulations!!!! :)

This was exactly the question I had! I ended up stumbling on to JDMissions - a law admission consulting website that offers a free written PS review (hopefully they still do). I was happy with the quality of the review. They also have a bunch of PSs posted on their website with critiques from advisors. I didn't ask any peers or professionals I knew b/c my statement was quite personal in nature (no pun intended :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@CrispyCritter said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@Emily2122 said:

Thanks guys! My diagnostic was 157 and I took the test twice: 170/177. I applied in mid Dec. I studied for about 6 months total (from March to the Sep test). During the spring I was in school and working about 15 hrs/week. Over the summer I was working about 30 hrs/week. I started my studying by first focusing for about 6 weeks just on logic games, since this was the part of the test most foreign to me. For the rest of the time I would take1 pt/week and drill for a couple hours about 4 days/week. I relied only on the LSAC's official10-test bundles.

That's so awesome you truly self-studied!
    Did you have a lot of extracurriculars on your resume like school clubs/volunteer work/internships or is your resume mostly work experience?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@CrispyCritter looking forward to meeting you at HLS!!

155 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    That's so awesome you truly self-studied!
    Did you have a lot of extracurriculars on your resume like school clubs/volunteer work/internships or is your resume mostly work experience?

My resume was about equally balanced between volunteer and work. Since I didn't have any law-related work experience, I think having significant volunteer experience (though not law-related either) was important for me.

I was not heavily involved in school clubs and did not feature any on my resume. My belief is that school club participation matters more so for college admission than graduate school admission (I can say this with some authority as both my work and volunteer experience involved college counseling to high schoolers).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Wonderful work!