Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simulating distractions during PT

sberg2014sberg2014 Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 63 karma

Hi All,

When you take your practice tests do you use the distractions on the proctor tool? I began using it this practice test on a level 3 volume, and it sounded like the person next to me was tearing up their test page by page! I know some people have had bad experiences when taking the test as far as distractions, but is it generally as bad as the distraction tool on the app? My testing environment before was subject to occasional interruptions from outside my apartment or my dog, but after I began using the app's distractions, my score tanked 5 points.

I suppose prepare for the worst hope for the best?

What would you do?

Anticipating Distractions
  1. How would you recommend best anticipating distractions during the test?12 votes
    1. No need to practice with extra distractions
      25.00%
    2. 7 sage app distractions are super extra. Test in a public location like a cafe or library instead.
      50.00%
    3. 7 sage app distractions are realistic. Keep using the app distractions.
      25.00%

Comments

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

This depends a lot on you as a tester taker. When I first started my prep, my bf was always sniffling and coughing and squeezing. I was super annoyed. But felt like that could be realistic and worked through it. I’ve taken PT in a lot of different environments, including my office, where ppl were talking and going about their work. That section was way worse than my normal. And I think that it was a waste of a section. I didn’t complete the PT there. It was impossible for me to focus on the stimulus while listening to coworker. You want to stimulate test day vibes, but also know that addrenaline kicks in test day and you’ll barely notice anyone or any other noise. That’s how it was for me. So I’d say take it maybe at a library or similar place if you want to be noise realistic. When I did that, I found it to be similar to test day. I went into a small quiet work room, other people were there studying quietly but making noise when coming/going, and sneezing coughing, paper movement, backpacks, laptop noises, occasional talking. I had headphones on for the proctor, so I could hear these slight noises, but it wasn’t overly bearing. The 7sage extra noise proctor may be good for some people, but not for every one. Another option may be to find a study Buddy or two that you can take tests with. That way there is the noise of another person working through the test next to you. Ultimately, it matters on what you think worst best for your learning. Knowing your test center is important too. Will you be in a lecture hall with 150+ ppl? Or a smaller room with less than 50? Things to think about.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

I think the 7sage app is really extra.
    Unless you live in a dead silent neighborhood, PTing with a window open at home should be fine. I PT on weekends and my neighbors are always out and about making a lot of noise well beyond what you would hear during the actual LSAT. And just hearing wind blowing, cars, dogs barking, is again way more than what one would hear during the LSAT. Public/school library would be fine too as people make the same noises you would hear during the LSAT if not more since people often do talk in libraries and move around a lot more.
    I do think that you should be capable of taking timed sections and doing well in places like starbucks or your work lunchroom, but it's not necessary. Doing well on LR and LG timed in my work lunchroom when I accidentally tuned in and out of coworkers convos made me feel good but I'm not sure if it necessarily benefitted my studies.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

I totally agree with what @LivingThatLSATdream and @"surfy surf" said above. I will add that after using the proctor on volume 4-5 consistently for the past couple months, except if I'm taking the test in a library, the sounds of people cough, mumbling, sneezing, and crumpling pages (I think) has actually become a sort of calming white noise. At the beginning I found it annoying, but combine the 7Sage proctor with some of the Headspace techniques has really help me, especially when I occasionally test myself by drilling sections in a busy coffee shop. Hope that helps!

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

I think the distraction tool is awesome. I've been testing for months with distractions at seven or eight on the app and I'm pretty sure I could score a 170+ with someone's head getting chopped off in the next room at this point. I started off on level 3 distractions I think and it was really annoying, but eventually the distractions become white noise.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

If you are looking for a distraction, look no further.
    My four year old son, Max will provide all of the distraction you need. My wife and I could use a night away from the little asshole.
    If you can spell your name while he is in the room, then you are capable and will score in the high 160's on the LSAT. Yeah he is that bad. I blame his mother.

But seriously. I remember reading a story in one of the Mike Kim books about one of his students that would PT on the subway. I tried it a couple of times, not with an entire test but with sections other than LG (Trying to make lists while a train is lunging forward and back is not very realistic for the LSAT anyway, unless you were on of the lucky few that was able to reserve a space on the Royal Caribbean test facility with a three night stay in Bermuda).

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@s_jricke said:
    I think the distraction tool is awesome. I've been testing for months with distractions at seven or eight on the app and I'm pretty sure I could score a 170+ with someone's head getting chopped off in the next room at this point. I started off on level 3 distractions I think and it was really annoying, but eventually the distractions become white noise.

Do you feel dependent on the distractions app? Can you still maintain that white noise and focus if you don’t have the app on? Just curious.