Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Post

kelly1234kelly1234 Member
in General 59 karma

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a discussion.. and I'm a little nervous. But anyways, here goes nothing. Does having a graduate degree make you stand out when applying to law school? I can go to a local university, be done in 2 years, and with my mom being a Professor I wouldn't pay. I am already taking this year off to study for the LSAT and I'm looking to take it in November.

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Hey , having a grad degree is definitely great - having original research via a thesis is even better to set you apart . If you’re only going to boost your Law application and no other reason I don’t think you’ll get the return on it . I looked into this as well ; I would say focus your energy on the lsat and your Law application. Just my opinion from my own research into this very question.

905 karma

If you’ve exhausted all options after following the above you may want to go and revisit the idea of law school at a later time

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    I would say focus your energy on the lsat and your Law application.

I agree with this. A law school application is no joke and takes a lot of time and effort. I am a little bit confused by your question though. Are you asking if you should get a grad degree before law school? While it isn't necessary it could definitely help. The best thing you should do in the meantime is think about if this what you really want. Getting into law school, especially this year, was extremely difficult. You need to make sure you are a competitive applicant. But if you are asking if it will make you stand out, probably not. It is not uncommon and roughly 30% of people who go to law school have graduate degrees. Plus, if you are interested in getting an additional degree, you could entertain the idea of getting a joint degree with your JD to save time and money.

Hope this helps

905 karma

@JustDoIt said:

@ebalde1234 said:
    I would say focus your energy on the lsat and your Law application.

I agree with this. A law school application is no joke and takes a lot of time and effort. I am a little bit confused by your question though. Are you asking if you should get a grad degree before law school? While it isn't necessary it could definitely help. The best thing you should do in the meantime is think about if this what you really want. Getting into law school, especially this year, was extremely difficult. You need to make sure you are a competitive applicant. But if you are asking if it will make you stand out, probably not. It is not uncommon and roughly 30% of people who go to law school have graduate degrees. Plus, if you are interested in getting an additional degree, you could entertain the idea of getting a joint degree with your JD to save time and money.

Hope this helps

Thanks for noting the dual jd option it is also easier to get into for some schools (more money less people apply ) so it could be a super last resort

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2531 karma

Getting a masters degree solely because you think it will help your law school admissions profile is a bad idea. A masters degree and a masters thesis will both make you a stronger candidate but this fairly marginal benefit to your application will certainly not be outweighed by the cost. Just because you're going to school for free does not mean that there are no costs associated. If you choose to get a masters degree and then go to law school, I recommend that you do it because it is a truly passion for you. It should be something that you absolutely need to accomplish to feel like a whole person and it should be something that you plan on using for your entire legal career. Otherwise you're just wasting valuable time and money.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2531 karma

Also, while we're on the topic of application strength - taking a "year off" to study for the LSAT is going to be seriously damaging to your application. I hope that you are working part-time (at least) or have something significant to fill the gap in your resume. I spoke with an admissions consultant and she told me that having a blank space on your resume - even for just the summer between two semesters in school - is a bad idea. Admissions officers want students who are capable of studying full-time and working on the side, as they will be expected to do in law school.