Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible in three weeks....

edited July 2018 in General 11 karma

I have taken the LSAT once before and, honestly, could never put in the time for studying. Because of work/finances, I could only sacrifice a half hour here and there with the power score books.

With the last LSAT, I got a 161. I am aiming for a 165+ but I only now got the time off to study (by demanding to lessen my overtime).

With maximal studying (think practice test a day plus some drills), can I achieve my goal? I do well with reading comp (4 missed at most), and I generally lag in the logic games due to running out of of time

Comments

• edited July 2018 702 karma

Hello!!

I've heard from other people that taking a test a day is wayyyy too much and you will burn yourself out fast!!! Maybe taking a couple tests a week would be more beneficial for your studying. The thing that has helped me the most was attacking my weaknesses. I drilled super heavily on what I had the most trouble with. Today I took a prep test and got my dream score!!! Per the advice of some other really awesome people on this site I started a notebook and wrote down: what question I missed, what type of question I missed, why I picked an AC and why the correct answer is the correct answer. This has helped, because I was able to see patterns and why I kept picking the wrong answer. This process is a little time consuming, but worth it.

You can do it!!!!!!

• edited July 2018 11 karma

I love the enthusiasm! I should have been more clear in saying that it is more about my maximum time I can spend! I can throw a few hours a day at it. I should also say that I have a philosophy background so I already have a decent understanding of logic and don’t need to train my brain on logical structure as much as maybe a complete newbie would. I roughly finished the powerscore books, too.

So I essentially have three weeks to retrain my memory of the books and get back into the groove of the LSAT and improve the score by roughly 4-6 questions. My last test had a full logic game left blank, so I know speeding that up will help me tremendously. But I worry overtraining logic games may hurt me on the others

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hi there! Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but it's really tough to make significant improvement in just 3 weeks. You're going to need to be really careful to not burn out too. This test is just not friendly to cramming.

That said, I know we all have our stuff and have to work around our situations. So my advice would be definitely not to take a PT every day - that's a sure fire path for burn out, and also just inefficient since you won't be targeting your specific weaknesses. I would recommend maybe 2 full PTs per week, and the rest of the time spending some serious time on LG. You obviously won't have enough time to foolproof a ton of games, but I would recommend using the foolproof method on a good number of games. Review (or for the first time?) the core curriculum covering LG. Even if you know formal logic, it's very very helpful. Review some of the LR sections too, and do some drilling there by question type. Even though you have limited time, I would highly advise either not studying or very very light studying for 2-3 days before the test to make sure you don't suffer from burn out on test day.

Good luck and let us know if you need help in any specific areas.

• 11 karma

Thank you for the response! I won’t be cramming practice tests it seems. So I’ll do as you advise and do a few practice tests a week with a ton of review in LG.

I intend to find where I am at today with a practice test and drill any that I don’t know or struggled with in the coming days

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

Three weeks isn't enough time to complete 20+ PTs without doing your head in, but it is enough time to do some foolproofing! You can make serious gains by improving your LG score, so that's where I'd put my time and energy if I was you.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@testfromaway said:
    Three weeks isn't enough time to complete 20+ PTs without doing your head in, but it is enough time to do some foolproofing! You can make serious gains by improving your LG score, so that's where I'd put my time and energy if I was you.

If you lag in logic games, you can definitely pick up a few points on that front by fool-proofing over the next 3 weeks

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

Going from 161 to 165 is a 6-question jump. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to do it. MAYBE it would be possible if I studied 40+ hours a week and had one or two weaknesses I could exclusively target. That being said, targeting your weakest question types is your best bet, rather than drilling everything a little bit. It seems like LG is your biggest opportunity, so if it were me, I would spend two weeks on LG and a week taking/BRing 3 PTs. Are you skipping questions while doing LG? It's a great strategy to employ.