2 more weeks --- is it possible to get over that 168 hump?

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
edited November 2014 in General 3545 karma
Pretty much what the title says. I've consistently gotten 168s on the past 5/6 PTs and it's so frustrating when my BR score is in the 175+'s. Any advice on how to get over that hump for the next 2 weeks? I've been drilling my weaknesses using the cambridge packets which have been helpful but any other suggestions would be grand. In particular, I'm missing question types that I never used to miss (like resolve, parallel structure, etc.).

Thanks guys and happy studying!

Comments

• 131 karma
    Have you tried writing out the LR questions you get wrong? That really helps me get in The mind of the test makers.
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I just made some serious breakthroughs this week: RC passages are much clearer and I got much faster at logic games. All I can say is that repetition paid off, even though I thought I had reached my potential. Keep plugging away and don't get discouraged.

Also, I've found that ultra-focused studying can sometimes disrupt my instincts and intuition. I get so focused on the formal logic that I can't step back and see the big picture.
  • amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
    383 karma
    I'm right there with you! We can do this! I'm also scoring 166-169 and need a 175+. Thanks for posting, as I will definitely watch this post for advice from other 7sagers.

Some advice from my friend who scored a 175 was to redo, TIMED, practice tests you have already done. If you don't get your target score on these, then there are some core mistakes you are making. Redoing has helped me identify some of these mistakes. I write them down, look for patterns, and then do a practice set of questions right after review. Examples of some of my mistakes are not identifying compound "and" statements and for principle statements concluding the X from a X --> Y principle.

Throw in some new PTs and hope you see your score rise. I haven't tested this method yet, but it worked for my friend.
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    I have the exact same issue. I am scoring 167-169 on all my test and can't seem to break out of it. Its making me crazy! If anyone has had this issue and managed to conquer it, please let me know what you did.
  • barcanoubarcanou Alum Member
    45 karma
    another one in the same situation. My BR is always 177-180, but timed exams rarely crack 166. This is frustrating, but we can do it! (No strategies or help, just commiserating)