Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

little victories

juanmapmjuanmapm Alum Member
in General 379 karma

Hi everyone,

I’ve been living off 7Sage for the past six-seven months and have lived vicariously through everyone’s amazing feedback, tips, support, and World Cup chatter. While I don’t post frequently, I wanted to offer this short post as proof that improvement is possible.

I started studying mid-January while working full-time. I planned on writing June but by the time I started taking PTs I realized I wasn’t anywhere close to ready. I kept scoring in the mid-150s (my diagnostic was 151) and after my fourth consecutive 154-156 score I felt completely dissolutioned. However, six months later, I have finally broken 160.

While I have a lot of work ahead of me, I wanted to share this tiny victory as I have been motivated by stories of people who have broken their own plateaus. I couldn’t have done it without the discussion boards and of course JY’s approach to besting the LSAT (I think a turning point in my studies was losing the lazy and fully dedicating myself to the Church of Blind Review). Good luck to everyone in their studies, and I look forward to future tiny victories that wouldn’t be possible without this community.

Comments

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

amazing! this is a big deal. congrats! xx

• Summer17Summer17 Alum Member
    125 karma

Good job!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Great job!

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

@juanmapm said:
    "Church of Blind Review"

Pretty sure I'll be plagiarizing this sometime in the future. Glad to hear about your victory!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

That's awesome :) Thank you for sharing this!

• juanmapmjuanmapm Alum Member
    edited July 2018 379 karma

Thanks everyone! And @"paulmv.benthem" please plagiarize away, anything to get more disciples!!!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

That is not a tiny victory! Congrats!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited July 2018 6045 karma

That's huge, congrats! What helped you break that plateu to reach 160 do you think?

• juanmapmjuanmapm Alum Member
    edited July 2018 379 karma

@keets993 I was losing the most amount of points in LG and LR. For games, I began drilling on my commute to work, on my lunch break, on my desk, on my commute back from work, etc. I'm down to -4/-5 and that's mostly because I am running out of time on the actual PT (I think I get anxiety whenever I see a game that I don't know how to set-up and immediately freeze instead of taking a deep breath and either skipping it or diving deeply into the rules).

As for LR, I think an authentic Blind Review has really helped me break that plateau. Previously I would "BR" by circling the questions I wasn't 100% sure on and then going back to each question and essentially convincing myself about why the right answer was right. My most recent BR's are akin to the strategy JY preaches - figure out why each wrong answer choice is the most absurd, ridiculous answer, eliminate them, and then figure out why the right answer is right. I also was able to find a study partner whose schedule and scoring range was close to mine, and together we force each other to honestly do a BR. Before finding a study partner my BR hovered around the mid-160s, but now I am breaking the 170 range both when we BR together and alone. Hope this helps :) !