Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasing speed and accuracy

babybartels2babybartels2 Alum Member
in General 40 karma

Any pointers on how I can improve my speed on RC without reducing accuracy levels? I'm doing quiet good but I find myself with one passage unread after the 35 mins is up. And also does fool-proofing LG work?

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Improving your habits; knowing when to move on and when to stick with something; and a lot of practice. Speed comes from knowing what you are doing and having solid habits spent from a lot of practice. Accuracy should happen simultaneously. For now, focus on single passages and games in order to improve your strategies and habits. Then when you feel comfortable, do whole sections.

• babybartels2babybartels2 Alum Member
    40 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Improving your habits; knowing when to move on and when to stick with something; and a lot of practice. Speed comes from knowing what you are doing and having solid habits spent from a lot of practice. Accuracy should happen simultaneously. For now, focus on single passages and games in order to improve your strategies and habits. Then when you feel comfortable, do whole sections.

Thank you! I was thinking the same about doing single passages instead of trying to it all at once.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Exactly. Learn to crawl before you run. I did single passages and games all throughout my studies, even more so right before the test.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

I would love some suggestions, too! What has helped me overall with PTs is skipping questions. You can start practicing this with individual passages when it gets close-ish to your test date. There is no point in sinking 2 minutes into a question-- especially when the last passage always has so many questions! You don't want to get far behind and then feel rushed. The extra anxiety will make you less attentive.

40 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I would love some suggestions, too! What has helped me overall with PTs is skipping questions. You can start practicing this with individual passages when it gets close-ish to your test date. There is no point in sinking 2 minutes into a question-- especially when the last passage always has so many questions! You don't want to get far behind and then feel rushed. The extra anxiety will make you less attentive.

omg exactly! the moment i realize i have 5 minutes left my attention is zero and i start to feel like there's no point in trying to read any further because its like my brain has frozen.

40 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Exactly. Learn to crawl before you run. I did single passages and games all throughout my studies, even more so right before the test.

Yes! im trying to crawl and not rush. Its so easy to get so caught up in beating the time at for me.