Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Work Experience

Hello fellow 7sagers.

I’m wondering how much of a factor an applicants work experience can be. I have been a firefighter and paramedic for the last four years. Will that be considered a plus? Or is work experience not weighed very heavily?

Thanks

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I think it would! That is highly unique work experience, especially if you can demonstrate how that made you want to transition to law school. In this day and age, work experience is a huge plus and having something truly unique is even better.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

That's awesome to hear. I'm an M.D., a physician, who dropped from residency training, because I've always wanted to do law and become a lawyer. Hope this helps as well.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    737 karma

It helps, but I don't think it matters to the point where it'd make up for substandard academics. Your numbers are what will determine how competitive you are for a particular school for the most part.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 151 karma

If you look at the methodology of how U.S. World & News ranks law schools there are multiple factors that they weigh. Obviously LSAT and GPA are the ones we are always hearing about but placement success actually weighs more heavily than both the LSAT and GPA. Therefore, law schools will likely weigh your potential for placement post education heavily. I think having work experience is a huge plus! This shows law schools that you will be employable post law school and may have less of a struggle landing a job right away. Good luck with your admissions cycle and thank you for your service!