Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Postgraduate course to compensate for low GPA

I was thinking about taking a postgraduate course before applying for law schools to see compensate for a low gpa, this way i can show that I can do the work and my low gpa was an isolated situation in undergrad. What do you guys think?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

You're more than likely going to get a "no" to this question. Ideally, a high enough LSAT score will do the most to offset the GPA. My recommendation would be to focus all of your energy on that.

David

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@BinghamtonDave I like that idea a lot, time to eat, breathe, sleep lsat

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    You're more than likely going to get a "no" to this question. Ideally, a high enough LSAT score will do the most to offset the GPA. My recommendation would be to focus all of your energy on that.

David

Yes, the best thing you can do instead is own your low GPA, get a very high LSAT score, and it's recommended to have a gap between your bachelor's and the time you apply to law school. Fill that gap with work experience and volunteering. Your GPA will have less of an impact if you aren't a K-JD. Any other degree or grade you obtain after undergrad will only be considered as a soft factor. Academic letters of recommendation are very important but moreso for a splitter candidate,so keep that in mind as you apply !

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@Sprinkles i graduated in 2015 and have been working as a paralegal since, i need more volunteering then !

11542 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    @Sprinkles i graduated in 2015 and have been working as a paralegal since, i need more volunteering then !

Nice! I also graduated in 2015 :) btw you don't necessarily "need" to volunteer, I was giving suggestions. It won't hurt though.

• pomegranatespomegranates Alum Member
    edited August 2018 139 karma

@Sprinkles said:

Yes, the best thing you can do instead is own your low GPA, get a very high LSAT score, and it's recommended to have a gap between your bachelor's and the time you apply to law school. Fill that gap with work experience and volunteering. Your GPA will have less of an impact if you aren't a K-JD. Any other degree or grade you obtain after undergrad will only be considered as a soft factor. Academic letters of recommendation are very important but moreso for a splitter candidate,so keep that in mind as you apply !

Sorry to tag on this, but I'm in a similar boat and I appreciate this advice! The last thing you said, about academic letters of recommendation-- I'm a total splitter (high LSAT, barely-passing GPA) and 5 years out of undergrad, and I regrettably didn't have any particularly close relationships with my professors. I wonder if using solely professional recommendations (though they know me well & can attest to my growth and current performance) will be detrimental. Should I at least contact one of my "more closer" professors and try?

11542 karma

@unicornia said:

@Sprinkles said:

Sorry to tag on this, but I'm in a similar boat and I appreciate this advice! The last thing you said, about academic letters of recommendation-- I'm a total splitter (high LSAT, barely-passing GPA) and 5 years out of undergrad, and I regrettably didn't have any particularly close relationships with my professors. I wonder if using solely professional recommendations (though they know me well & can attest to my growth and current performance) will be detrimental. Should I at least contact one of my "more closer" professors and try?

No worries! It's nice to try and help each other out. But yeah I would try and get at least one professor who can shed light on your performance in their class. This would be general advice even if you were a 4.0 student. Like I said , because we're splitters, an academic letter is that much more meaningful. Since you're 5 years out, a professional rec would also be good. Hope this helps.