Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR Questions

monaalsaidimonaalsaidi Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 53 karma

I am trying to decide who to ask for letters for law school. I am going to ask one of my college professors, but since I have been out of college for about 5 years, I was also thinking about asking my boss, who managed me for three years. While I could ask another professor instead of my boss, I am not confident they'd be as capable of writing a great letter. Is better to have two professors or one profess and one manager?

LOR
  1. Who to ask for LOR?13 votes
    1. Professor and manager
      100.00%
    2. two professors
        0.00%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Since you've been out of school a while, professional LORs are ok. It's great that you have an academic one though, and you should definitely use it. But it'd be better to have a strong letter from a supervisor than a not-so-strong one from a professor that doesn't really remember you.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

To echo @"Leah M B", professional LORs are ok in your situation. If you can get a professor to write you one, do it. But if that professor cannot speak to your personality and willingness to learn because so much time has passed, I would skip out on that. Basically, if you have a professor who would really remember you, you spent time with outside of the classroom, took multiple courses with, etc, that could be helpful. But you're better off getting two outstanding professional references than one great one with one mediocre academic one.

• NicholasDayNicholasDay Alum Member
    86 karma

I agree with the two comments above. I just want to add that your LOR is written by people who are capable of writing a good letter that can address your abilities. If you are not sure that someone can do this, then it is best to look elsewhere.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Why not ask for all 3? Hahaha