Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind review

Hey guys,

I'm taking my first prep test today, and I wanted to clarify what a blind review was.

From my understanding you circle the ones you're entirely unsure of and you review thoses before checking your answers.

However, I plan on blind reviewing the entire test -one section a day, is this a good idea? Moreover, I don't really see myself taking the test until march the earliest or June the latest. I work full time and occasionally i do between 45-and 50 hours a week. my ultimate goal is one prep test a week with one blind review section per day, averaging about 12 hours a week.

I've been through the CC.

is my understanding of BR correct?

is one prep test until june reasonable?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You have the right idea about BR. As you take the test under timed conditions, circle questions that you aren't 100% certain of. Then when the test is done, go back and review. Really dig into the question until you are 100% certain of the answer. It can also be helpful to track these and write down your reasoning.

I feel you in working full time. I do too. For me, the best plan was to take a PT on Saturday and then BR it on Sunday (and into Monday if I don't finish it that day). Then Monday-Friday, I worked on drills, reviewing the course curriculum as needed, and sometimes do additional timed sections. In order to avoid burn out, I'd take 1 weekday per week off to do something fun. And on the weekends, I would take the PT then set it aside and not touch the LSAT for the rest of the day. Same with the BR; I'd do the BR and then set it aside and no more LSAT studying. I made sure to do fun things that are relaxing and energizing to me on my weekday off and the rest of the weekend days. That added up to being about 15-20 hours per week of studying. It's tough but it's doable.

I'd really recommend to find a way to have time to do 1 PT per week, the BR, and also have time for drilling/studying. PTs and BR are good for learning, but more focused learning happens when you have time to dig in. When you work full time, the best thing that you can do is be efficient with your studying. As you improve, BR will take less time too. So, that will give you more down time if you do the schedule the way I did, or give you more time for drilling.

• Thank you so much for the advice!

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@"Chuggin Maple Syrup" said:
    From my understanding you circle the ones you're entirely unsure of and you review thoses before checking your answers.

This is correct.

Personally I don't recommend re-doing the whole test. First off, you're re-doing questions where you already know you got the right answer. Second, it won't reveal over-confidence errors (questions you got wrong but didn't circle for review).

• carlos.raiz23carlos.raiz23 Alum Member
    195 karma

@"Leah M B" Hello, I work full time as well. I have been studying since around April and planning to apply this cycle. Do you think I gave myself enough time to study? How much time did you give yourself to study from when you started to the time you took your first lsat exam? Im planning to take the lsat for the first time in November and so far my PT scores have not been good at all 144-146 with a BR of 153. This week I stopped taking weekly PT's and I am forcing myself to go through the CC again. Please let me know you're thoughts, thank you.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    You have the right idea about BR. As you take the test under timed conditions, circle questions that you aren't 100% certain of. Then when the test is done, go back and review. Really dig into the question until you are 100% certain of the answer. It can also be helpful to track these and write down your reasoning.

I feel you in working full time. I do too. For me, the best plan was to take a PT on Saturday and then BR it on Sunday (and into Monday if I don't finish it that day). Then Monday-Friday, I worked on drills, reviewing the course curriculum as needed, and sometimes do additional timed sections. In order to avoid burn out, I'd take 1 weekday per week off to do something fun. And on the weekends, I would take the PT then set it aside and not touch the LSAT for the rest of the day. Same with the BR; I'd do the BR and then set it aside and no more LSAT studying. I made sure to do fun things that are relaxing and energizing to me on my weekday off and the rest of the weekend days. That added up to being about 15-20 hours per week of studying. It's tough but it's doable.

I'd really recommend to find a way to have time to do 1 PT per week, the BR, and also have time for drilling/studying. PTs and BR are good for learning, but more focused learning happens when you have time to dig in. When you work full time, the best thing that you can do is be efficient with your studying. As you improve, BR will take less time too. So, that will give you more down time if you do the schedule the way I did, or give you more time for drilling.

@"Chuggin Maple Syrup" I think this is a great way to prepare for the test. However, as I'm sure most of us know @"Chuggin Maple Syrup" there is no substitute for the variety of skills needed for the test along with the ability to rapidly change strategies to go from a Must Be True to a Strengthen or Necessary Assumption.

@"Rigid Designator" said:

This is correct.

Personally I don't recommend re-doing the whole test. First off, you're re-doing questions where you already know you got the right answer. Second, it won't reveal over-confidence errors (questions you got wrong but didn't circle for review).

I strongly disagree with this advice. There has been countless times where in the first 10 questions that I felt were gimmes, they turned out to be wrong and were discovered in my blind review. Leave no stone un-turned, even if you don't think there is anything underneath.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited September 2018 8392 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@"Chuggin Maple Syrup" I think this is a great way to prepare for the test. However, as I'm sure most of us know @"Chuggin Maple Syrup" there is no substitute for the variety of skills needed for the test along with the ability to rapidly change strategies to go from a Must Be True to a Strengthen or Necessary Assumption.

For sure. That's what weekly PTs and the timed sections between are good for. But when you find things you're weaker on during BR, you should use that to do some focused studying between. If you just go PT to PT, I think it takes longer to work on specific areas that need shoring up.

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"Rigid Designator" said:

This is correct.

I strongly disagree with this advice. There has been countless times where in the first 10 questions that I felt were gimmes, they turned out to be wrong and were discovered in my blind review. Leave no stone un-turned, even if you don't think there is anything underneath.

Of course. But I agree that BRing the whole test doesn't do as much to reveal confidence errors. When you do the PT and BR just the ones you circled, check the answers, then you go back and review again, finding those questions you missed in your BR and why you missed them, why you did/didn't circle them. But as I mentioned, especially when you're working full time, I think you need to be efficient in your studying. So, BRing questions that you got right, knew you got right, and quickly moved on from takes more time than is necessary. After you finish BR, then you can go back and review just the ones you need, including the ones you didn't circle but got wrong.