Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I. Have. Hit. A. Wall.

Hi all.

This is an intentionally short and to-the-point discussion post. I want as much input and insight as I can gain and don't want to turn away any potential comments with a huge long prompt. So please forgive my lack of details.

Things were going so well. I crushed my first prep test, skated through introduction to logic and strengthening questions. I felt good about my LSAT studies and had confidence. Until I started the Validity and Must Be True Questions section. My progress immediately halted. The concepts stopped sticking and I have begun to start losing the confidence and swagger I once had. Specifically, the Valid Argument Forms 1-9 might as well be Greek to me. I have trouble understanding why I need to keep nine fucking argument forms in my head. They appear to have only subtle differences and I don't see how memorizing those details could help increase my LSAT score.

I just want to get back to studying LSAT questions and study things that are directly applicable to the exam.

Now, let's be real. It isn't the awesome service of 7Sage that is discouraging me. I have been really exhausting myself trying to study every minute I have available. Additionally, I have almost completely stopped exercising and my sleep has been disrupted with stress about the exam. I realize that these lifestyle factors play a large part in my academic productivity and I am addressing them. But in the meantime, somebody - ANYBODY - please let me know how I can survive validity/invalidity sections.

Help me! Anyone! I'm losing my fucking mind!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

Valid/Invalid argument forms are extremely useful to memorize. Technically you don't have to memorize them but it makes questions that require you to recognize valid arguments such as MBT/SA questions much easier/faster.

Don't get discouraged though, man. They can be tricky to understand at first if you can only understand them in an abstract way. Revise JY's explanations using the bucket/list methods. That helped me to visualize the concepts behind the argument forms.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

Hey I understand the frustration, but as someone that has written the test now and studied for 10 months, all I can assure you is that it all starts to make sense the more you go through the curriculum. Some of it may seem irrelevant, but it will come together. You have to keep a bit of faith in the interim. The valid argument forms are very helpful later, but also don't get stuck on memorizing them right now because it may halt you. What I did was write down each of the valid and invalid argument forms in a little notebook, and would just revisit them once a day to remember what they were. As I went through the rest of the curriculum, what they were and why they were important started to make a lot more sense. Eventually it became second nature.

So I'd just say, don't get stuck on them. Write them down in a notebook, keep them with you as things to refer to regularly, and just keep going through the curriculum.

My 2 cents.

• william.truongwilliam.truong Free Trial Member
    12 karma

Personally, I feel like the issue isn't so much that you don't understand "Validity" and "Must be true" questions specifically. Rather, you've probably been over-working yourself. People don't just "lose it". You had the swagger, and you can still have it. At this point, what do you think is going to help more?

1. You can either crash, keep digging your grave from negative thinking, and ultimately lose 100% of the swagger you've built (whereas realistically, right now, you've probably only lost 25-30% of it from overthinking).

2. You can take the time to rest. Sleep in. Feel better. Get a workout (it clear the brains, I swear) Once you've done that, Get. It. Together.
      A lot of people get caught up in the moment, and crash from how they currently feel. They completely forget what they are studying for, and what their main goal is because they are absorbed by the LSAT.

A great Law school is what has been motivating you all along. Everything you've done. Remember, and you'll find that motivation; but more importantly, that swagger.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

OH.MY.GOSH -- preaching to the choir sir.

This was me not too long ago. My studies came to a screeching halt once I got to the Valid/Invalid sections I thought I was a complete idiot for not getting it. I spent three weeks ...THREE WEEKS alone on one section .. but guess what? I finally got it. Do not let your law school dreams go out the window because of one section that you can totally get. If I got it, anyone can. Take notes, ask questions, bug people on this forum for help (everyone is super helpful) and just keep going until you finally get it. And I promise you will. Unfortunately, the section you are on sucks right now, but once you get it you'll feel like a pro again.

Mastery of this test goes to the ones who take it slow and don't skip steps. Take your time it will come.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    edited October 2017 634 karma

I feel you!! I felt the exact same way when I hit valid argument forms; I just finished them after throwing my notebook at a wall a few days ago and taking a good long mental break. I recently posted this on the valid arguments review in the CC, but I thought I would repost here in case it's useful:

I categorized each valid argument form into 3 groups, based on patterns, to make it a bit easier to visualize in my head. I'm not sure how your brain works, but rather than just recalling all 9 forms, I find it much easier to break them into little subsections. Once I recall what "group" I'm looking at, then I can unpack it and recall all of them. With this method, I was able to memorize them in under an hour, rather than last week when I was blindly trying to memorize all 9 of them. Seeing a grouping pattern helps.

Group 1: Valid Arguments 1 & 2 – deals with the simple A→B relationship:

-A→B therefore #1 A|B or #2 /B|/A

Group 2: Valid Arguments 3 to 5 – deals with different types of the A→B→C relationship: #3 A→B→C, #4 A←s→B→C, #5 A‑m→B→C

-Each conclusion is ‘related’ to their respective argument form (all, some, most), such that #3 is A→C, #4 is A←s→C, and #5 is A‑m→C.

Group 3: Valid Arguments 6 to 9 – deals with A being the common variable between B & C: #6 A→B & A→C, #7 A→B & A←s→C, #8 A→B & A‑m→C, #9 A‑m→B & A‑m→C

-In each of these valid arguments, the conclusion must be B←s→C because both variables clearly have a connection to A which means they would AT LEAST overlap once (think definition of some & the list method) – and as such, we cannot conclude with words such as all (B→C) or most (B‑m→C) because we don’t know what characteristics B & C have outside of this argument/world.

I hope that helps because it really helped me! :) Just remember I was in the same situation as you not too long ago and I told my parents that I've hit a wall & I can't go on anymore, but then I found a solution that makes me feel silly for even doubting myself! You got this :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kshutes13 said:
    I feel you!! I felt the exact same way when I hit valid argument forms; I just finished them after throwing my notebook at a wall a few days ago and taking a good long mental break. I recently posted this on the valid arguments review in the CC, but I thought I would repost here in case it's useful:

I categorized each valid argument form into 3 groups, based on patterns, to make it a bit easier to visualize in my head. I'm not sure how your brain works, but rather than just recalling all 9 forms, I find it much easier to break them into little subsections. Once I recall what "group" I'm looking at, then I can unpack it and recall all of them. With this method, I was able to memorize them in under an hour, rather than last week when I was blindly trying to memorize all 9 of them. Seeing a grouping pattern helps.

Group 2: Valid Arguments 3 to 5 – deals with different types of the A→B→C relationship: #3 A→B→C, #4 A←s→B→C, #5 A‑m→B→C

-Each conclusion is ‘related’ to their respective argument form (all, some, most), such that #3 is A→C, #4 is A←s→C, and #5 is A‑m→C.

Group 3: Valid Arguments 6 to 9 – deals with A being the common variable between B & C: #6 A→B & A→C, #7 A→B & A←s→C, #8 A→B & A‑m→C, #9 A‑m→B & A‑m→C

-In each of these valid arguments, the conclusion must be B←s→C because both variables clearly have a connection to A which means they would AT LEAST overlap once (think definition of some & the list method) – and as such, we cannot conclude with words such as all (B→C) or most (B‑m→C) because we don’t know what characteristics B & C have outside of this argument/world.

I hope that helps because it really helped me! :) Just remember I was in the same situation as you not too long ago and I told my parents that I've hit a wall & I can't go on anymore, but then I found a solution that makes me feel silly for even doubting myself! You got this :)

Hey @kshutes13 ,

I don't think I've seen you around the forum, so just wanted to say welcome :)

I also really, really love your 3 groups method for memorizing the valid and invalid argument forms. I made notecards when I was learning them and sort of learned them by grouping them similarly. Great idea!

Thank you for sharing

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kshutes13 said:

Hey @kshutes13 ,

I don't think I've seen you around the forum, so just wanted to say welcome :)

I also really, really love your 3 groups method for memorizing the valid and invalid argument forms. I made notecards when I was learning them and sort of learned them by grouping them similarly. Great idea!

Thank you for sharing

Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate that someone else enjoys the grouping method and I'm happy I could share - I was so excited that I had come up with my own way that I went downstairs and showed my parents my new method (this is the story of my life during LSAT studies). Suffice to say neither of them cared lol but I hope others might!

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

@kshutes13 said:

This is ducking brilliant.

• ---JEh------JEh--- Alum Member
    60 karma

Also, go workout or something like that man. Don't underestimate the power of getting away from it all and moving around. Sounds simple, and it really is. For most, this material takes a bit of time to "sink in". Most people can't just blow through the material and crush it. I've found that studying for too long melts the brain.