Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Do I start?

ValBerroaValBerroa Alum Member
in General 77 karma
Hi 7Sagers,
I just joined 7Sage about a week ago and the reason why I joined is because of the comments that I read about the course. My last PT was 135 :-( and my goal is to score between 160-165 on the June/October LSAT. I just don't know where to start. Should I finish the whole course first and then start taking practice tests? I signed up for the LSAT Starter. Should I upgrade to the LSAT Premium or LSAT Ultimate? When do I start using the Cambridge Drilling Packets? I will be studying an average of 20 hours per week and English is not my first language. Help.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Use the next month to go through the curriculum. Stay away from taking PT's and watch all the videos. I'd supplement the cambridge drilling packets from the beginning.!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    so you already have the Cambridge and starter right? for now I would just hold onto starter and upgrade as needed.
    I'd say start going through the lessons, once you are finished with a particular question type lesson&sets, take out the Cambridge packet of that type and start drilling. Not the whole packet but a decent amount, untimed. Take your time and understand what is going on, why the right answer is right and wrong are wrong. Do as many as you feel is appropriate and then move on. (Manhattan forum has decent explanations for whatever you can't find on here) I would hold off of PTs for a bit, maybe not till you finish the whole course depending on how long it takes you but once you feel comfortable with the type of stuff you are dealing with you can throw at least one in to see how you are doing. Don't be afraid to skip a lesson for a LG if you want to throw that in sooner and whatnot
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited March 2015 938 karma
    I would upgrade to the ultimate, the amount of content offered is insane. The other packs don't offer the new tests to practice on and those are the tests that will truly gauge where you are. You can always buy them individually, but that will end up costing way more in the long run. There are also many more problem sets/videos to learn from. This allows you to drill the patterns/flaws the LSAT will continuously throw at you.

Also, if you are taking the June exam you'd probably need to study more than 20 hours a week. More like 35-40 hours a week. If that's too much then it will probably be better to wait till October.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Both @mpits001 and @jdawg113 both offer sound advice... I personally would be in favor of getting the ultimate package... simply because I would have all the explanations that 7sage can provide... you may or may not end up exhausting them all but it is better to have them... then I would use the next month as @ddakjiking said to familiarize yourself with the various question types... then take a PT and go from there... also everybody learns at their own pace, and maybe you can do it in 20 odd hours a week maybe more maybe less.... but as @mpits001 pointed out, maybe that might not be enough... so be open to the idea of shifting your test date up to October... the test has to be about you and not an artificial time frame... while it is good to set targets like this, as they get you working hard towards a goal, you should consider the possibility that you may need more time to be the best that you can be and do your best at this test... Also - do not worry about English not being your first language... for a lot of test takers past, present and future, (including my self) that is the case - as long as you are competent in the language, its fine - you will just have to work a little harder.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I would suggest to go through the course 1st and drill along each section. Don't touch any PTs until you think you're ready for them after you've finished the course. Also, leave some practice sets for when you start taking PTs they'll be handy afterwards as well in case if you are having issues with a particular question type.
  • ValBerroaValBerroa Alum Member
    77 karma
    Thank You @emli1000, @"Nilesh S", @jdawg113 , @ddakjiking, @mpits001. I have been studying this 9:00 am with a three hour break. There is so much material I don't know how am I going to memorize all of this. I guess practice is a necessary condition.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    you don't memorize really, the approaches and patterns just stick
    3438 karma
    @ValBerroa don't worry about memorizing... while everything requires some basic memory, the LSAT is not a test of memorization but logical analysis, reasoning and comprehension... get the necessary skills down and learn the concepts that you need to know for this test... and you will be just fine.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @"Nilesh S" That's prob one of the few things I like about the LSAT. I don't have to worry about memorizing formulas or vocab. Now...if I could only perform on test day and get a satisfying score...
    3438 karma
    @ddakjiking I love that about the LSAT too... it doesn't test you on rote memorization... but upon analysis... which is just as well.. because when you're a lawyer, you will have the case law with you but you will have the cases with you when you need... what will earn you your bread will be the analysis... remember that scene in The Paper Chase where Kingsfield says to brooks that a photographic memory alone would get him nowhere in the class... that for me was simultaneously the most funny as well as one of the most troubling scenes in that movie... and I am SURE (100 %) that you will be just fine on test day and will rock it!!! Speaking of the Paper Chase and memory... while memory might not be the most important thing in law school, it certainly helps ;) as this scene will demonstrate:
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    That movie reaffirmed my belief in a number of things:
    1) I REALLY wanted to go to law school in the US;
    2) I REALLY didn't want a contracts professor like Kingsfield;
    3) the Socratic Method was developed to terrify;
    &
    4) Life is short... eat dessert first.

Well maybe not that last one ;) but it is true!