Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down in the dumps

Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 138 karma

Hi all,

I got my September mark back and am just so mad at myself. I completely choked after seeing the first RC passage. I stubbornly went through the section in order, completely running out of time and didn’t even get to read the last passage (this has NEVER happened on any of my 20+ PTs). I freaked out at the fact that I choked on the first section and did not get out of that horrible headspace until the 3rd section.

Despite all the choking and the freaking out, I decided well, I paid the money, might as well see what I got wrong. (Also egotistical me was saying ah you may have done ok despite messing up 2 sections)

Aaaaand here we are with the exact same score that I received in June.

I guess that means even when I choked, I still improved somewhat considering despite choking I still got the same as June.

I’m just super down in the dumps and trying to decide between
1) waiting till next cycle to apply
2) retake November (3rd lsat does this look bad?)
3) give up and just apply with 159

Any tips? Suggestions? Life wisdom to share?

Thanks for reading this far! :) this group is honestly the best

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

If you can afford to wait another cycle it’s probably best that you see it through. You’ve made great improvements and probably can improve a lot more. Don’t worry, this is a marathon for most of us.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

What was your section by section breakdown? Depending on how many questions you got wrong in LG, you can just fool-proof for a month and take the Nov test and apply this cycle. If you were already near perfect on LG then sit out this cycle and study RC and LR for a few more months and click submit Sep 2019.

• Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
    138 karma

Thank you guys already for the reply! The breakdown is as follows: Choked RC: -13 (omfg how did this even happen), -9 LR (choking continues), -3 LG, -4 LR
    The -3 -4 is how I USUALLY perform, and I have never gotten something as low as -13 on a RC section before

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Not (2)!--It's too soon to guarantee the kind of improvement you're looking for. Either (1) or (3) depending on your aims.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I would do some serious soul searching. Take a long extended vacation. Read a book. Watch that Netflix series you've been missing out on. Give up on this cycle. If after some soul searching you find out that you still want to be a lawyer, then prepare for the June administration.

Frankly, you still have too many holes to address within two months and you'll need more time.

• TrinkSchokoTrinkSchoko Free Trial Member
    69 karma

Here's what I suggest you think about:
    (1) Why law? Or, what kind of law schools do you need to get in to achieve whatever you envisioned? And will your score get you somewhere that fulfills such wishes? If so, apply now.
    (2) If not, what scores would allow you to get into those schools, and how long do you need to achieve that? Depending on your answers, you might want to take the Nov. test or apply next circle if you can afford to. Or... I hesitate to say this, but it doesn't necessarily hurt if you decide to pursue your dreams in a way that doesn't involve law school.

In fact, I was in your position a year ago. I totally panicked on RC AND the 2nd LG which turned out to be real, didn't cancel cos "maybe it's not that bad" and ended up with 1 point more than my June test. For me, I know for sure it won't get me into any school I need to get into or get me the money I need, and I was lucky to be able to apply next circle (I also realize I have to take some time off to give my fullest.) Now I just got a score beyond my wildest imagination a year ago. Remember of course N=1, but I hope it helps to make the right decision.

138 karma

Hi all,
    Thank you all again SO much for all the help and advice! I am a Canadian student, so this may change the application process a bit. According to some of the canadian law school forums, the 159 and my GPA will get me into some of the canadian schools, but not the ones I am aiming for.

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

If you want to apply this cycle, give it a shot. With great softs (*personal statement esp.), you can get in somewhere you'd be happy attending.

• alicia32alicia32 Alum Member
    31 karma

I'm in a similar situation, as I am applying to Canadian law schools and and writing for a third time in Nov. Where are you applying to in Canada and what are your top choices? And what score do you need to get accepted there? I think it also depends on how important it is that you get into those schools. Depending on your GPA, with a 159 it seems like you have a really great shot a whole bunch of Canadian law schools. Depending on the school, most of them take your highest score anyway, so I haven't gotten the impression that it would really hurt you by writing it again.

138 karma

@alicia32 said:
    I'm in a similar situation, as I am applying to Canadian law schools and and writing for a third time in Nov. Where are you applying to in Canada and what are your top choices? And what score do you need to get accepted there? I think it also depends on how important it is that you get into those schools. Depending on your GPA, with a 159 it seems like you have a really great shot a whole bunch of Canadian law schools. Depending on the school, most of them take your highest score anyway, so I haven't gotten the impression that it would really hurt you by writing it again.

I am applying allllll over Canada at this point. Cannot afford to pick and choose. I live in BC, so my top choices are UBC and UVIC but as it stands I am not sure my scores are competitive for either of my top choices....
    My university does a pure letter grade official transcript so that drags down my cgpa quite a bit (some courses only give A, while some other courses are curved, or a 95+ required for A+)
    I need around a 165 to be competitive, so I am not that far off, but I really expected myself to do much better the second time around.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Hey there, fellow British Columbian... hahaha.
    I think you definitely shouldn't give up. As for November though, I think you can make a 5 point jump by then if you put in a solid 20+ hours a week every week, but still, it might be a bit of a rush. Are you able to postpone to next year? For me, this year is my last chance, so I'm going to just study my ass off for the next month, and see where I end up. Just make sure you're realistic about your expectations. For me, after 3 takes, my actual test scores have consistently been 8 points lower than my average PT scores, even after I simulate the most stressful circumstance possible and take PTs with only 80-90% of the allotted 35 minutes. In general, I think most schools don't look too harshly on repeated takes, so don't let that bother you too much.
    PS: I also choked up after that first law passage. Hit me up if you ever want to chat.