Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

155 to 160/162 by November??

What are the chances I can improve from a 155 average to 160ish by November? Working a full time job.

I took a diagnostic in June at 150.

Games are my biggest down fall (50% average)... possible?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It is definitely possible but it will depend on how much quality time you invest. Also it depends on you BR score and the strength of your fundamentals.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

If you are only getting half right on your games then I would start foolproofing LG’s from PT 1-35 YESTERDAY. Going -10+ in LG’s and getting that down to -2 or better could get you very close to 160 from a 155. Won’t be easy but I think it’s possible. Fortunately games are the easiest to improve, just takes a lot of practice, repition, being honest and not cheating yourself.

• rkathleenrkathleen Member
    72 karma

@jkjohnson1991 Thank you so much for that! With the fool-proofing method, I find I just memorize the answers, and then I get on the test and feel lost. Any tips?

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 766 karma

@rachelbriton
    No problem at all. I know exactly what you mean, but it’s one thing to just memorize the answers and it’s another thing to repeat them step for step exactly like JY is doing them and truly understand why you are doing what you are doing. That’s why I said you must be honest with yourself. If you make a small, silly, and careless mistake you cannot just ignore it and say that it won’t happen next time. You MUST start the process over for that problem set and repeat until your truly perfect and master it. Some of these sets I can wake up in the middle of the night out of my sleep and do them while laying down because I’ve done them 15+ times from messing up repeatedly lol. It’s tedious I know and may sound extra but that is how I improved, honestly. I had to learn the hard way to invest the time up front. It takes time but I promise you they will get easier because you will be much more familiar and they won’t look like a foreign language to you if you keep at it! I cannot reiterate it enough though when I say be honest with yourself and disciplined! That is extremely important. I’m still improving with mine and am not where I want to be but I’m blind reviewing -0 every time now and I’m not completely freezing and guessing anymore at all like I was when I first began the process. Keep pushing!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I also work full time, and worked full time for my entire undergrad. It is tough to balance two enormous commitments, but it will be worth it when you earn major score improvements. When I was in school, I spent my free time studying and writing papers because I was determined to get straight A's. It was a little obsessive and extremely draining, but the end results were worth it.

Similarly, now I am spending my free time studying for this test. Once it became an obsession for me it was easier to put in the hours. Get yourself into that mindset! 155-160+ is going to happen for you if you put in the effort.

Make a plan for yourself and go for it! Fool proofing games 1-2 hours every day will definitely net you some major points. If you mix in a section of LR or RC with review you will improve in those areas too. You should revisit the CC for any question types you still have major trouble with, and try to take a full timed PT with review on your day off. Good luck!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

162 might be a stretch, but I won't say it's impossible. Even getting up to a 160 is going to require a lot of hard work! Are you losing most of your points in one section, or pretty evenly between them?

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    454 karma

Definately could happen! my suggestions would be just to focus on studying a lot, and make sure your studying well. The blind review method and LG mastery method are essential. Spend your time honing in on your weaknesses and fixing them and you will see big strides. Having LG be your worst section is a good place to be 2 months out since it's so easy to improve. 160 is definately within range but it's a lot of work just keep at it!

72 karma

@samantha.ashley92 thanks for your reply! I've been getting in the 70-80% range for RC and LR, just 40% for LG! I just can't seem to wrap my head around them.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@rkathleen, exact same situation here. You could be my twin. Doing decently enough on LR and RC.
    But LG completely destroying my score, and I'm just "not getting it" despite much practice.
    People say it's the easiest section to improve upon. Not happening for me for whatever reason.

It's very discouraging.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

A LG a day keeps the low scores away. Seriously though, focus on doing at least one a day. Really try to understand that game, and learn from the mistakes you made. If you do at least one a day, I promise you will see improvement. That's a guaranteed 60 practice games under your belt by test day. As you practice they will be easier, and you will begin to do more than one a day because LGs are actually FUN! They are the best part of the whole test, they are called games for a reason.

72 karma

Hi everyone, just an update. I am now consistently scoring around 162 with a few 160's and 164's! This is, as others suggested, from scoring better on Logic Games. I think doing all prep games helped, because I kind of learned the inferences as many others mentioned. I write in November so hoping the score remains. Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice :) And @tekken1225 I hope you are doing better now, and if not, you will be soon I know it!

• @rkathleen said:
    Hi everyone, just an update. I am now consistently scoring around 162 with a few 160's and 164's! This is, as others suggested, from scoring better on Logic Games. I think doing all prep games helped, because I kind of learned the inferences as many others mentioned. I write in November so hoping the score remains. Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice :) And @tekken1225 I hope you are doing better now, and if not, you will be soon I know it!

Hi- I'm curious. Have you been doing an LG a day? What has been your strategy? Congratulations on your hard work that really is such an accomplishment.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@rkathleen said:

Congrats!

72 karma

@LSATwarriorprincess I printed off 5 copies of every game, and did each copy. When I finished a game I put it in one of three piles; better, faster, done. If I finished all copies of a game under the correct time constraint and got every question right, it went under the "done" pile (for the record- no games went under this when I began). If I got all questions correct, but took too long, then it went under "faster". If it was just all around horrible, it went under "better." I printed off 5 more copies of each and repeated under they all were under "done." I stopped doing them for a few weeks and have taken a dip to -4 for the games section, so I am starting the process again to hit that -0. The more familiar I got with them, the more I knew what they were trying to say, but I also felt better when the section game up and had less anxiety. Hope this helps :)

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Honestly don’t think about it too hard and just do it