Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

January 2019 LSAT

jessicalauren216jessicalauren216 Free Trial Member

Hi! I'm taking the LSAT for a third time, and applying for a second. My first two scores were 140 and 147 (both times I really didn't prepare properly), but my resume was really strong with the 147 and I was pretty eager to jump right into law school, so I figured I'd give it a go -- but I only got accepted to some mediocre schools like Hofstra, NY Law etc. so decided to go through the process one more time and study properly i.e. four months, with a tutor, etc. and now my PTs are averaging between 158-160. I was supposed to take the Nov. 2018 LSAT but literally missed the deadline by a day, and am still kicking myself. I called LSAC and of course they said no exceptions, so I signed up for January. My question is, can I still get accepted for Fall 2019 if I take it in January, and if the answer is yes, how do I go about the application process?

I'm still looking around at schools, but some that I am initially interested in are BU Law, Syracuse, Cardozo, and Penn State.

I'm hoping to raise my score to the mid 160s because my logic games score is still pretty low, and I just recently found the 7sage games explanations which are the first LG explanations that actually make sense to me. I'm averaging between 13-15 on that section and think with some serious practice that will change.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, you can. And in the words of President Obama: Yes, we can. :) And we're here for you.

• Ortiz_44Ortiz_44 Member
    90 karma

I went to a forum in Boston with a bunch of schools, one of the questions was what would be considered an ‘early’ application. They said anything before January. Extrapolating from there, applying in or around January you should be fine. I’m also looking at Syracuse, so I feel your pain.

• jessicalauren216jessicalauren216 Free Trial Member
    86 karma

Thanks! I saw the score release was in February -- that's what's really freaking me out -- but I guess as long as the application is in by then and they're aware of the release date, should be fine. My main worry is that they're going to see my previous scores and completely disregard my application. Does touring the schools and making them aware of me as an applicant ever help in this regard? On the forums I've seen mixed reviews about this.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Yes you can still get accepted for fall 2019, though scholarships might not be a lot. If that's not an issue, then apply.

Don't be too worried about the scores you have on record. Just focus on crushing it in January. Law schools consider the highest LSAT score more even though they get to see all your takes. I don't know how much touring could help. My guess it would help to write a strong Why X if you choose to write one, and it could indicate to the school that you're interested, but there are people that get into law school without touring.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sure; good idea to request a campus visit sometime in the application season.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Kind of odd topic but did NY Law give you scholarship money? I’m hoping for a full ride to Brooklyn Law, but would accept a full ride to NYLS if need be.

• 19 karma

@Louislepauvre said:
    Kind of odd topic but did NY Law give you scholarship money? I’m hoping for a full ride to Brooklyn Law, but would accept a full ride to NYLS if need be.

I'm looking into Brooklyn Law also! Best of luck :)

• jessicalauren216jessicalauren216 Free Trial Member
    86 karma

They gave me a really small scholarship the first time I applied, yeah. I know a girl who got a 159 and got a full ride as well --- they're very generous with scholarship money. I've heard the same about Brooklyn Law and St. Johns -- if you get high 150s/160 you should be in a good spot for scholarship money.

Thank you for your advice! I feel much better/comfortable/relaxed about prepping for January now lol

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

You too! My good friend has a full scholarship to Brooklyn on a 164 LSAT/3.5 GPA. I'm hopeful that I could get scholarship money from them, but I also saw from BLS's 509 report that they give very few full scholarships. St Johns, on the other hand, gives out many. Also, a full scholarship at NYLS off of a 159 sounds very promising. I know that NYLS isn't the most prestigious school in the world, but graduates from there can go to Big Law (what I want) if they are high achievers at the school.

Also, kind of late to say this, but I said "kind of odd topic" and I meant "off topic". Typo!

@"Michelle Vargas" said:

@Louislepauvre said:

I'm looking into Brooklyn Law also! Best of luck :)