Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I stop myself from second guessing the right answer

Azza KhalifaAzza Khalifa Member
in General 18 karma

Here is my problem I could easily get a great score on the LSAT if I stop second guessing the right answer. I know trust your gut, but I still always second guess it and pick the wrong answer. Please help! any advice!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 8694 karma

I would actually respectfully disagree with the sentiment expressed in the idiom “trust your gut” as it applies to the reasoning needed for the LSAT.

I once read a puzzle that stated the following: how large would a newspaper be if we folded it 103 times? This puzzle has been pointed out by others as a warning against intuition, trusting our gut ETC. People normally think that the newspaper would have to be as long as a family van. Like a Honda Pilot or one of those old Dodge Grand Caravans.

Actually, when we do the math, if we folded a newspaper 103 times it is 93 billion light years across. Astonishingly, the world record for folding a newspaper is 12 or 13 times.

The purpose of the above example is that intuition fails. Math rarely does in these situations. The same can be said about the lsat. Intuition gives you an answer on an SA question but a thorough, tested application of a system that we sharpen through our drills will rarely fail.

So if you are stuck between two answer choices go back to basics. Review the reasoning within the question: the premise/ conclusion relationship. Find the assumption, and do precisely what the question asks you to do. Familiarity with everything from cookie cutter flaws to valid and invalid argument forms is our “math” here.

Best of luck moving forward
    David

Edit: great video

and

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

And here my gut reaction was: "As large as it was when it was unfolded." Folding it doesn't change it's size (as nothing is added or removed), merely it's shape. :lol:

• Azza KhalifaAzza Khalifa Member
    18 karma

Thank you very much! I am going back to the basic now :)