Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Search for speed tips.

I have an adequate understanding of the material. I am relentless in my reviews of my LR sections. When I see a question I have a clear strategy. My issue is getting through the questions quickly enough. I neglect about 2 questions in each LR section, though not completely, but I end up having 30 seconds for each. It is just not enough.

Any tips? I am sure there are plenty of people that encounter this issue. I do not have a natural affinity for speed reading. It is killing me that two the difference between -5 and -3 in a section is just due to speed.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Speed is a function of ability. Are you familiar with cookie cutter review?

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Get to the 10 questions in 10 minutes benchmark. Eventually you will get through 15 questions in close to 15 minutes and have a ton of time left for the part of the section that usually has more difficult questions. Sometimes early questions can be very difficult, and sometimes you may just miss the gap in logic that solves the question. Skip those unless you see the answer quickly. Any time you are unsure and stuck between 2 answer choices, skip. Keep practicing and get your timing under control. Also check out the timing and skipping strategy webinars. The questions you spend the most time on are usually the ones you get wrong, but those questions can sometimes be way easier to figure out on a second pass.

• sman5454sman5454 Alum Member
    41 karma

To echo what NotMyName said, speed certainly is a function of ability. Speed issues are a result of not being familiar enough with the material. Trust me, that bar is VERY high to finish with enough time to go back.

However, time is also a consequence of strategy. In that sense, I never really try to be 100% sure of every answer choice I pick. I usually go for 70 - 80% per question, lowering that bar for harder questions. Try to look at it like that, hope that helps!

• almostthere17almostthere17 Alum Member
    83 karma

@NotMyName said:
    Speed is a function of ability. Are you familiar with cookie cutter review?

Yes, it is in the RC core curriculum. I would say that for flaw questions I can easily identify the cookie cutter flaw right away. For other question types, it does not come as naturally. I am specifically having trouble with sufficient assumption and weakening questions. I find them more challenging to read.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@annieg17 I filled a binder with questions I had difficulty with (missed or missed in BR) and studied their structure. What I found was that cookie cutters appear just as often in other question types as they do in flaw questions and once I was able to recognize them, my speed and accuracy improved. Also, while flaws are a sub-category of cookie cutters, they are not the only cookie cutters. Phenomena/Hypothesis is another repeating structure (cookie cutter) and of course the basic A therefore B SA structure.

• azntroy103azntroy103 Alum Member
    20 karma

Do it in three waves. First wave I do questions I can easily do without any notes. So principle, weakening, strengthening, etc. After I do the super quick ones, I focus on the questions that require mapping. So assumptions, any questions with nested rules, or the "some, many, most" questions . After that I finish the ones that eat up alot of time because the AMT of reading . So like.... Parallel reasoning. Practice creating your own hierarchy of questions