Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Study Distractions - 7Sage Forum

Study Distractions

brookslovesbonesbrookslovesbones Alum Member
in General 14 karma

What distracts you most while studying? What attempts do you make to stay focused and overcome distractions?

Lately I find myself checking for news on social media once I’ve worked through a problem set as a sort of break. I start to reach for my phone more and more and soon it becomes a distraction. Dang Facebook!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Lately it has been application for law schools that have distracted me the most lol. But reading articles, checking the news is a distraction for sure. Lately I have been following this absolutely fascinating case of a biology professor at Berkeley named Dr. Tyrone Hayes and his experiences with the 19 billion dollar agricultural company Syngenta and the EPA centering around the herbicide atrazine. The New Yorker did a piece a few years ago on Dr. Hayes and I have been following the rabbit hole on the issue for the last week. News and topics often distract me the most.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I put my phone on airplane mode. I used to try to study for hours straight but toward the end I was burning out and just set a timer on my phone for 90 min and I would take a quick break and then reset the timer.

• brookslovesbonesbrookslovesbones Alum Member
    edited November 2018 14 karma

@BinghamtonDave That sounds interesting! I’ll have to check it out.....after my test of course! ; )

• brookslovesbonesbrookslovesbones Alum Member
    14 karma

@oshun1 I like the timer idea. Thanks for sharing!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@brookslovesbones said:
    @oshun1 I like the timer idea. Thanks for sharing!

I think it’s called the pomodoro method if you want to look into it further.

Also something else that works is just putting your phone on do not disturb and watching the 7sage videos on your phone. I did this for blind review as it was nice to set my phone down right on the practice test page I was working on. When you’re playing the video on your phone you can’t open up other tabs on the internet and get distracted like you can on a laptop.