Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you approach the 7Sage Core Curriculum? Tips appreciated!

GUDETAMAGUDETAMA Alum Member
in General 114 karma

Hello all! I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far and managed to take some time away from studying because I for one am still recovering from my first Friday night R&R in months. I am curious as to how you all approach the 7Sage Core Curriculum? Personally I am a rather slow and methodical learner that is just so fixated on excessive note taking and the details that I basically move through the 7Sage course at a abysmally slow glacial speed. Honestly after assessing how I was studying I felt that this slow speed that I move at and basically writing down everything that JY says and trying to memorize it as the word of a venerable God Emperor I seem to almost forget some of the lessons learned previously. I watch every video and basically comb through the comments in the videos to pick out some worthwhile tips but, as I said before, I fear that I may not be grasping the bigger and more important concepts forsaking it for the details of an individual question instead.

I have began to set aside days where I plan to only review and compile important information whether it be concepts, rules, or important takeaways from certain problems onto a Word Document so that I may more effectively review past lessons in a more concise manner as well as drilling certain problematic problem sets that I just failed miserably in while balancing it out with days where I devote all my time to moving forward with the video lessons.

Just some information I am studying for the LSAT full time and I plan to take it sometime in 2019 so that I can apply the upcoming cycle. I initially had planned to take it in January but due to an injury I had to take a significant amount of time off to basically heal and return to 100%.

I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to give me some tips or tricks as to what worked for you because I would love to learn how to more effectively study and manage my time so that I do not get so bogged down that I end up barely ready for test day. Thank you all so much!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Hi there,

I think everyone approaches it differently, but I personally didn't take much notes. I think I printed this PDF out and looked at it everyday: https://7sage.com/lesson/4-translation-groups-cheatsheet/

I recommend taking as much time as you need in the CC, but at the same time, I think you should spend at least 6 months in the PrepTest phase. You can always come back to the CC when you're reviewing PTs. Honestly, I didn't get the importance of Advanced Logic lessons such as ""Some" Statements Meaning" and "Deny the Relationship" until I was in the PT phase.

Sorry, I can't give you any tips or tricks!

• LSAThater-liteLSAThater-lite Alum Member
    31 karma

Love that this question is answered. I'm trying to hit all 95 hours of my CC by going in order and it's taking a really long time. I wonder if I'm even retaining it at this point? Or able to apply it to Actual problems? Started the first week of October and feeling unmotivated.

• Late Not NeverLate Not Never Alum Member
    56 karma

Here is the biggest mistake I made...doing the CC in order and waiting to take a diagnostic til I got to thru the LG section of the CC. The thing is...until you have to apply it, you are just listening to JY's awesome and entertaining teaching style. For me, the context provided by the PTs was what I needed to really use the CC the way it is meant to be used. So...take the diagnostic, and start the lower numbered PTs (absurdly easy compared to Sep and Nov LSATs). Then, be sure to use your 7Sage generated Analytics to enhance your study and review process. In my opinion, this will give you the biggest bang for your methodical buck!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I disagree a little bit. I think that the problem sets are where you get to apply what you're learning. I wouldn't waste PTs (maybe the older ones but definitely not newer ones) until you've gone through the full CC.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Remember that there are no awards for completion. If you don't take your time and really learn the concepts, you may as well not bother. Take each lesson as a unique and isolated challenge. Try to master it before you move on and define "mastery" in such a way that it sets a very high threshold.

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    389 karma

I agree with @MissChanandler. Going through the CC at a slow pace and making sure to do the practice sets (timed and BR) at the end of each section is critical because it helps you crystallize your learning. Each lesson builds on the next (kinda like math), so you have to slow down and master one lesson at a time before you move on. Not 100% sure about a lesson before moving on? Stop, repeat the lesson, and then see if you're 100% confident again. Don't move on until you are feelin' a hundred.

I can't say I actively took notes, but I did create excel charts and flashcards for the following concepts: logical indicators, biconditional indicators, valid + invalid argument forms, the common argument flaws, and the logical reasoning question types (which breaks down an approach to each question type, an explanation of direction of support, and typical questions stems). If you want some more info on these notes, don't hesitate to message me!

• GUDETAMAGUDETAMA Alum Member
    edited November 2018 114 karma

Thank you all for your helpful replies! Honestly makes me feel a lot better about the pace at which I am moving in and it makes complete sense not to rush through it. Once again much appreciated!