Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is "except" the same as "unless"?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
edited November 2018 in Logical Reasoning 1755 karma

is "except" also "negate sufficient," just like "unless"?

Thanks!

Comments

• rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
    160 karma

username_hello I treat it as such because that's how Powerscore treats it. Essentially they mean the same thing; "unless" (X happens), "except" for when (Y happens), etc. I believe it is, but since 7sage doesn't have it as such, it's up to your discretion. All the best!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2018 9377 karma

Do you have an example of an LSAT question where "except" is used as a logical indicator? Because I can't recall seeing one.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited November 2018 1755 karma

@akistotle

PT69.1.18

The way JY translates that statement is basically having "except" being negate sufficient.

Powerscore puts it under the "unless" category. I've seen quite a few "except" statements in LR, and I think 7sage should maybe include it as a key indicator word.

• joycool9567joycool9567 Alum Member
    133 karma

you can definitely replace both words "if not" so the function and category except and unless are pretty much same at least in LSAT reasoning ( I think)

Everyone will go to University except the ones who can't pay for it.
    Everyone will go to University unless they cannot pay for it.

Exactly the same meaning. I just swap all these words except, until, unless, into if not and for me it kinda worked.