Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protocol for reapplying

TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
in General 240 karma

Hey everyone, so this is my second time applying to law school. I've been looking up whatever or not I have to change my application from last year to reapply. I don't have much to update besides a summer job that I had. I've seen an article that said they can't be exactly the same, and I've seen some that said it's not necessary to change anything. I think I might change my PS slightly and update my resume. Is it necessary that I do anything else?

Comments

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

??

• rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma

im in the same position as you. if you want to discus this matter privately pm me :)

• I would strongly recommend udapting your app. Tweak your PS and update your resume.
    I’ve spoken someone from admissions to the law school I wanted to reapply to with that same question and she told me it’s best if I updated it. She said by sending in the same application that tells admissions that you are not trying and are not serious about their school or becoming a lawyer in general, so overall it’s a bad idea.
    I would try speaking to someone from admissions either phone call or in person to get a better sense of what they are looking for in reapplicants. If you can speak to them in person that would be extremely beneficial. That way you can leave “a face” to your application and leave them with a good impression by your interest in the school because you reached out to them!
    Good luck and I hope this helps!

240 karma

@InteriorCrocodileAlligator thank you so much

240 karma

@rakinalikhan thanks, will do

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd write new essays, most likely. Hope this helps.

240 karma

@lsatplaylist completely new essays? My reason for wanting to go to law school hasn't changed.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Not an expert, but probably revised essays. I'd need to know more. How many years since you finished college? How many schools are you applying to? And what types of personal statements were they requesting? Like Why School X essays, or open topic, or something else?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I reapplied 3 times and re did everything each time. Only did a minor rework to why x essays

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Updating your resume is a good idea if you have anything you can add to it. Otherwise, you should plan on revising or doing totally new essays. Do you have to write/revise your essay? No, schools will accept the old one. However, it reflects much better on you to submit a new essay. You can either revise, edit, or re-write the one you used previously or start from scratch. But the general wisdom is that submitting the same essay as a previous application could appear "lazy" or something along those lines.