Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume Conflict

Up until July of this year I was working a good job at a well-known law firm. I then quit to study for the Sept LSAT, and in October I moved across the country and got a minimum wage job. I think my job at that firm would look really good at the top of the experience section in my resume, but I also don't want it to look like I have been unemployed for 5 months when I submit my applications in December. What should I do??

Resume Question above
  1. What should be at the top (most visible) part of my resume?22 votes
    1. Min wage job at the top
      50.00%
    2. Law firm job at the top, leave off min wage job
      27.27%
    3. Law firm job at the top, min wage job below it
      22.73%
    4. Other
        0.00%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think you should include the job and list it at the top if that's where you most recent job would be. You could do several things - add an addendum to explain the change, maybe add a bullet point under the law firm job noting that you resigned in order to focus on the LSAT, or explain it in person during interviews. I think it's a better look to have a minimum wage job than nothing on the resume. You can explain the change later if you need to, but I don't think anyone will have a problem with it.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I can tell you from personal experience this cycle, gaps in your resume draw questions.

As an aside, stay-at-home dad is apparently not good enough to cover the gap, but that's a conversation for a different forum.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

another idea might be add to add a Law-Related Work Experience section, or one titled Relevant Experience. That way, you can list it all; that said, it'll look a bit weird if you don't have at least 2 jobs under the Law-Related/Relevant heading

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

As an aside, stay-at-home dad is apparently not good enough to cover the gap, but that's a conversation for a different forum.

... seriously?? UGH. If a school wasn't cool with that, I'd be crossing them off my list. That's a bad look.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I can tell you from personal experience this cycle, gaps in your resume draw questions.

That's sad to hear. You have my sympathies. It's already rare for Dads to stay-at-home and it's something we should be encouraging as a society, not discouraging!

• hclelandhcleland Member
    18 karma

Thank you everyone! This is all very helpful.