Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOGIC GAMES using SLOTS vs. COLUMNS

alicia.xxalicia.xx Alum Member

I've been going through 7Sage's explanation for logic games and I noticed JY uses slots instead of columns. I previously took another LSAT course and they used columns for sequencing games.

I'm kinda habitually stuck always going back to columns. I was wondering what benefit there is to use the slots opposed to columns?

For those of you that use the slots, what benefit do you see? Is it faster/neater? Do you prefer that method to columns?

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I'm not really sure what you mean by columns. I've never seen sequencing games done that way. For grouping games, categories are typically organized into columns with slots for the items.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

I use left-to-right slots and I think it's easier just because it's faster to draw and it maps better (in my opinion) to common sequencing variations like days of a week or spatial arrangements. I only use up-and-down when a specific diagram makes sense that way (floors of a building, layers of a cake), and it always irks me when I end up with the leaning tower of Pisa as my game board. I also don't have to worry about how big I write with left-to-right slots; when its' up-and-down, you're inherently limited by the vertical space you leave, and if you don't leave enough it gets awkward.

But it ultimately doesn't matter - I've had plenty of students draw their diagrams 90 degrees rotated from what I do and be just fine. I mean, they're still WRONG. But hey, not everyone can be perfect like me (joking...)

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

Boards are a tool, and only a tool. You should use whatever is most intuitive for you. If using a particular game board is hindering, rather than helping, your ability to comprehend and solve a game, then don’t use it.

• alicia.xxalicia.xx Alum Member
    56 karma

Thanks everyone!!