Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR missing things help!

Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member

Hey guys,

I need some assistance with my logical reasoning improvement?

So yeah- basically what occurs is: I do the exam, Blind review, then I still miss -4--6 per LR section post BR.

Once I view the videos, I immediately recognize why I miss the things I miss. (Rarely is it due to me completely believing that my answer choice is so accurate, but rather that I don't translate complex conditions properly i.e. if A then B unless C or If and only If (anyone want to point out a good CC lesson to re-watch?), or it's due to the fact that I didn't focus on the right premise + conclusion tie-ins, or just didn't read an answer choice at all...)

Do you guys have any advice for someone like me?

Anyways, Thank you so much!

Comments

• buckmartinbuckmartin Alum Member
    91 karma

Where are you at in the course? Are you done with the core curriculum?

I noticed at the end of your post you said that for some of the questions you didn't read an answer choice at all. I'm not sure if you meant during blind review or just during the timed take. I just wanted to make sure you know that should never happen during BR. Not only should you read every answer choice, but for every question you should also be 100 percent certain WHY each of the wrong answer choices is wrong and WHY each right answer is right. This method works.

When I finished the CC I decided to re-watch the videos about how to BR as a refresher. At first I kind of thought it would be a waste of time because I already "knew" how to BR. I was wrong. There is definitely a right and wrong way to do it. There are 9 short videos in a row. Totally worth it.

https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/

I hope this helps!

• VibrioVibrio Alum Member
    625 karma

This is the lesson for "If and only If"
    https://7sage.com/lesson/advanced-bi-conditionals/

For "if A then B unless C "
    https://7sage.com/lesson/mastery-embedded-conditional/

Agreed with @buckmartin
    You might not be reviewing the right way. And do not hesitate to go back to the curriculum.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Once I view the videos, I immediately recognize why I miss the things I miss. (Rarely is it due to me completely believing that my answer choice is so accurate, but rather that I don't translate complex conditions properly i.e. if A then B unless C or If and only If (anyone want to point out a good CC lesson to re-watch?), or it's due to the fact that I didn't focus on the right premise + conclusion tie-ins, or just didn't read an answer choice at all...)

So, generally, once you are done BR-ing you should be super confident that the answer choice you chose was 100% the right answer and the other four answer choices are 100% incorrect. You should be willing to fight [using your reasoning] for that choice. That's why it's great to be a part of a BR group or have study partners because you have someone to actually talk your reasoning out to. Of course it's okay to get answers wrong even during BR but what matters more than your timed and BR score is how you adjust for the next PT after. One step is to drill your weaknesses and you've done a great job by identifying that complex conditionals are something that you're weak at. @Vibrio provided you with the relevant lessons for working on that. The second is to work on more fundamental aspects that aren't as clear cut to drill. These are things like how support functions in each argument, cookie-cutter review. For these, you really need to work on identifying why you're not identifying the structure properly. It might be an issue of grammar or because you need to brush up on identifying gaps in arguments. Finally, you need to make sure you are BR-ing thoroughly. BR is where the bulk of your learning happens and its where you identify the gaps that you need to address and fix during drills.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

Hey guys, thanks alot for the great advice y'all!!

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    edited January 2019 268 karma

Hey guys!! thank for you the advice,

Apparently, I was simply not BR'ing the proper way and would get tired through BRing some of the questions/outright lazy to not reason my way through.
    Found out my weakness was learning how to fixing illegal conditional statements.

Just posting this as an advice for any future forum users!!