Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actions needed to improve on LSAT retake in March.

lsatstudy18lsatstudy18 Alum Member
edited January 2019 in General 156 karma

Hi everyone,

I'm about to take my first LSAT this Saturday and I already know I'm not going to get a high score.

My questions is, what can I do or what actions should I take to improve my score the second time around?

I kind of know what i'm weak at but not really.

My highest PT was 155 and I get a consistent 147-149. Honestly, my aim is 155-160.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you know you're not going to score what you want- don't take on Saturday. If you have the mindset that you're going to do badly, then you're going to do badly. It'll be demoralizing to have a low score on your record, and it's unnecessary since you're already okay with taking in March.

• 6 karma

I actually think it's a good idea to take it twice. For me personally, it was invaluable to get the experience of taking the test in its true setting. That experience alone helped me with nerves and timing my second go. Good luck!

• lsatstudy18lsatstudy18 Alum Member
    156 karma

Thank you for the advice @MissChanandler, but, I agree with David. I want to experience the test setting and see what will happen. Maybe I'll get lucky and get the question types I've had difficulty with correct.

But, I do need help figuring out what my next step should be after the exam as I start preparing for March. Should I go back and review fundamentals or focus on the things I know i'm having trouble with.

For me this has been a very difficult journey due to the fact i'm a horrible standardized test taker.
    I've been at this for 5 months now and I still get -16 to -24 on LR, -12 to -15 on LG, and -14 to -16 on RC. I've done all of the PTs on here for the starter pack and I have all of the PTs from 1-80. I've done about 2000+ questions and I still have a ton of difficulty getting questions correct

I hate to admit it, but it's reality and I have to admit and accept my weaknesses in order to improve. I need the material to be "dumbed down" for me.

For example, in LR, I need to completely understand what the question is asking and I will be able to get the answer correct every time. But, flaws are a nightmare for me.. I've tried everything and it is still one of my weak points.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Have you gone through the core curriculum? How exactly have you been studying?

156 karma

@Alex

Yes, I've gotten through the CC the week of the Novemeber 17th exam. I initially began the last week of August. I watched all of the videos, attempted the practice. At one point I began timing myself when doing the practice to get in the rytham of things.

BR doesn't help me because I already know the correct answers after watching the explanations and I get frustrated when doing them again because I've seen how it's done and I don't end up learning because it is being repeated. If that makes sense.

For studying, I began doing open pts by trying to find my strengths and weaknesses. I would then do timed pts to reinforce the accuracy of those strs and weaknesses. Mostly for LR.

I then began trying to understand exactly what the question stem was asking by reviewing all of the possible LR question types. Yet, I still have difficulty choosing the correct answer choice. I've gotten to the point where I can eliminate three answer choices and be left with two, but I seem to always choose the wrong one.

For logic games I went through the lessons, but I still have a hard time knowing which game board to use. I recently learned to differentiate the in/out boards, grouping, and the sub versions of them. I make inferences just as JY taught, but i still over thing them and make even more game boards to accommodate all of the possible out comes and then I get lost. I have a lot of issues with sequencing with a twist.

I've got a BA in English so for RC it's a bit easier. I can handle the tedious reading, I can understand the passage but I tend to get lost with questions. I tend to broaden the passage in my head which causes me to block out potential answer scenarios or fine details that could help.

I feel like I've been studying wrong way and the wrong material.

I've had three different study partners, I tired looking at how they tackle their questions and how to answer them correctly.

One of them took it before and got a 157, but he took the Test Masters course, the other had a 165, and the third it's her first time like me.

Sorry for how long this has gotten, hopefully someone can help me fix this issue with my studying and maybe help me finding something that makes sense.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2019 23929 karma

One thing that stood out was you saying “BR doesn’t help me because I already know all the correct answers from watching the explanations...”

But you should be doing BR before you watch explanations or grade your test... Check out the lessons on how to properly BR.

Also, what do you mean by “open” PTs? Just curious.

It also seems like you said you’re doing timed PTs to reinforce your strengths. However, drilling is probably better for that; as well as improving weak areas. PTs, especially when we’re far from our score goals, are better for diagnosing weaknesses so we know where we need work and what to drill.

Use the 7Sage analytics to see which questions types you’re missing most and begin by reviewing the CC lessons on those and by drilling them. You should expect to be returning to the CC lessons quite a bit until you have everything nailed down.
    Check out the webinar titled “Post Core Curriculum Study Strategies.” You can find it under resources. It will explain the proper steps to take after finishing the CC.

For LG, have you done the fool proof method? It truly is the most effective way to improve on the games section!

It’s hard to know exactly what is going on without talking to you more, but I think the things I mentioned above are good places to start.

156 karma

@Alex I want to thank you for taking the time out of your helping me with this delimma! I really appreciate it!

I mixed some things up, I ment to say, the fool proofing method for LG doesn't help me because I memorize the inferences, board, and answer choices once I watch JYs explanations. So, It's difficult for me to do the same game because I feel like I haven't learned anything.

For LR, I do a lot of drilling by using the question bank at first, but I probably did it inefficiently.

Open pts is like drilling, I would do say pt 46 not timed, after every question I would look up the answer choice if it was wrong I would try to understand why it's wrong.

I don't do BR because I've got a bad habit of second guessing myself. Which I already do when I do timed pts. I would originally choose the correct answer but for some reason it gets it my head to reread the stem and stimulus again which will cause me to doubt my answer and I end up crossing it out and choosing the wrong one.