Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does cancelling a score "look bad"?

So im in my first month of studying but I want to take the July LSAT since you'll loose nothing, its a win-win. Because you will be able to cancel your score after you see it and also if you do, they will give you the chance to take it again FREE OF CHARGE.
So my question is, if I do cancel my score, does that look bad to law school admissions?
P.S I live in Canada(if that makes a difference at all)

Comments

• salonpapassalonpapas Member
    138 karma

You should reach out to the admission offices of your target schools and ask them.

In my experience when I've called admission offices, they don't care about cancellations!

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

As other have said, you should call the admission offices of your target schools to ask. From my research and from hearing the opinion of others, including admissions consultants, canceling a score isn't a big deal as long as you don't do it too many times (otherwise it looks suspicious). I'm sure there will be a high percentage of cancellations for the July test, I'm sure schools know this and will not think much of it.

• jbeeberjbeeber Alum Member
    2 karma

You're able to cancel your score after you see it? I thought you could only cancel it the same day you take it or the same week or something.

• @jbeeber this is from LSAC's website
    " To ease the transition, LSAC is offering July test takers the opportunity to see their score before they decide whether they wish to cancel it. Those who decide to cancel can choose to retake the test one more time through April 2020 free of charge."

• Patz4lifePatz4life Alum Member
    214 karma

Well I wouldn't say it looks bad but it certainly doesn't look good

• 246 karma

Admissions offices now don’t really have any incentive to punish you for lower or cancelled scores because they only are required to report your highest. I don’t think it’s a huge deal but I would also assume that if we could choose between something like a 165 on one take only or a 165 with a cancel everyone would prefer the score without the cancel.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

No, schools really don't care if you have 1 cancel on your record. They know stuff happens... test center distractions, being sick the day of the test, etc. It only looks bad if you have multiple cancellations - then they would want a short addendum to address why. But I would think especially with the July test being the way it is, they will be expecting a lot of folks to cancel that one. Don't worry about it.

• Amrina96kAmrina96k Alum Member
    144 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    No, schools really don't care if you have 1 cancel on your record. They know stuff happens... test center distractions, being sick the day of the test, etc. It only looks bad if you have multiple cancellations - then they would want a short addendum to address why. But I would think especially with the July test being the way it is, they will be expecting a lot of folks to cancel that one. Don't worry about it.

Would it be better to cancel a score or have a lower score on your file?
    For instance, i have taken the lsat twice already, and did my third attempt this past weekend. I am almost 100% sure that i did worse on my third attempt than the first two, so is it advisable for me to just cancel it or keep it even if it ends up beig the loswest?
    (I will be writing another lsat in July)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Amrina96k Really, either is fine. Schools really do only consider your highest score, with the slight caveat that the top 3 schools can be a little pickier. So if your main goal is HYS, then cancel. Otherwise, you are truly fine no matter what.

• 246 karma

@Amrina96k said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Would it be better to cancel a score or have a lower score on your file?
    For instance, i have taken the lsat twice already, and did my third attempt this past weekend. I am almost 100% sure that i did worse on my third attempt than the first two, so is it advisable for me to just cancel it or keep it even if it ends up beig the loswest?
    (I will be writing another lsat in July)

You should also check the school’s policies. I know that in Penn’s Admissions FAQs they literally state “a single cancelled score has no impact on the evaluation of an application.” However they also say that all LSAT scores are noted and taken into consideration. So if I was shooting for Penn then yeah maybe I would consider cancelling more. However, as Leah pointed out above the majority of schools only really care about top scores and it’s also very very hard to know for sure how you actually did on the LSAT unless you had a massive mistake you are aware of. So that also would lead me to not cancel on most tests.