Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#help Do law schools looks closely into the courses I took during my undergrad?

TiaK0419TiaK0419 Alum Member

The question is the same? I don't mean the GPA but if some of the courses I took are kinda similar(like,'fundamentals of social sci research' and 'research methods in social science'). Actually those are the courses I am talking about. I worry if they might look the same and the admission office might not admit the credits I got. Anyone who knows about this??

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited February 2019 1804 karma

I'm pretty sure admission committees take a good look at each applicant's transcript, lest they admit only those whose coursework consists mostly of easy or introductory classes. But in this case, I am inclined to think you worry too much.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think you'll be okay! Those classes to me don't sound like you were just trying to take a bunch of easy A courses or anything.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

The overall GPA is an important factor in evaluating a file for admission, but an admissions reader will also look to see the types of courses you took to earn your GPA. If the committee is comparing two files, both with 3.7 GPA, but one is filled with Intro to..., Topics in..., Elements of..., while the second transcript shows upper-level electives in a challenging area of study, the committee will definitely note the difference. The committee may note the course number as they may indicate introductory classes. If you are really concerned about the courses being perceived as unchallenging, you might redirect the reader's perception by mentioning ideas or concepts from advanced classes that influenced you in your application writing, or you can discuss the courses/concepts with your recommender and have the recommender highlight them in the LOR. LORs can expanded on or reinforce a candidate's accomplishments. Good luck!