Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for LR?

Folso102Folso102 Yearly Member

Hi everyone --

I'm averaging around 158 on my 5 most recent practice tests right now and really want to break 160's consistently! I'm averaging around -7 on LR sections, and not really seeing a trend as to missed question types. I feel like I have the foundation/CC down pretty well and am running into over confidence errors a lot of the time.

Should I be drilling LR sections instead of taking full PT's? Or should I go through CC again? I've also read the LSAT trainer. I just feel a little stuck! Would love to be getting -3/-4 consistently...

Anyone else run into this problem and overcome it?

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I think it would depend a lot on where you started and what your goals are. It also depends on when you want to take the test and how much time you are willing to dedicate to studying for this test.

When I first started, I got like a 142ish? on my test and was able to get into the 160s after 3-4ish months. What I didn't realize was that I just had the starter pack so I didn't really get exposed to the harder questions. The starter pack only has the easiest question types. I feel like I learn best by feeling that I have all the resources I need to succeed. So, I upgraded to the Ultimate+, redid the core curriculum, did most of the sets, and then took the test again.

This time, I started by doing timed sections in the 30s or 40s. It is SO SO SO important that you are BR-ing properly. You need to sit down and be able to figure out why the others are wrong, and writing "irrelevant" is just not good enough. You need to know why the right is right, but also why the wrong and wrong. This seemed ridiculous to me at first, but I definitely am seeing the difference now. It's a good idea to take a few of these timed LR sections, put it into analytics, find your weak areas, and then start drilling those specific areas.

At the same time, I am working on foolproofing the games for the second time around. It is important to work on games to remain consistent and improve. It is also a good idea to work on some games and switch between LR or RC timed sections.

I hope that helps!

• Folso102Folso102 Yearly Member
    61 karma

yes thank you!! I think I could definitely be more detailed in my BR process

• 5MoreMinPlease5MoreMinPlease Yearly Member
    edited March 2019 128 karma

Hey Folso,

I'm not sure if your starter pack covers this, but there's a great webinar on 7Sage that goes over Post CC strategies. https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

It's really helping me get the most out the materials, including my timed/untimed LR sets. Hope it helps you too :)

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I'm PTing in the same range, my LR scores are also typically around -7. Something I have started doing that has helped me improve to -6 or -5 is skipping questions earlier. It sounds simple, but I get stubborn sometimes and try to work through a tough question. Instead, I have found it helpful to eliminate one or two obvious wrong answer choices and then move on through the section and return on a second round. Since I also don't have any one question type that I continually miss, I just drill LR sections and practice my skipping strategy.

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

The LSAT trainer really helped me focus my efforts.

also group BR's tend to help people as well, as you can see how other people approach questions.

IMO. LR is all about process and having the right process can often lead you the right answer even if it's tricky.

There's a bunch of us sagers doing online group BR's in preparation for the March LSAT. You are more than welcome to join us!