Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timed LR Sections...Worth it?

PrincessPrincess Alum Member
edited April 2019 in Logical Reasoning 821 karma

Should I be doing timed LR sections from like 40s and 50s because I find that when I take it timed? I want to take the July test for sure, so I am trying to do evens PTS 60s through now by then.

I sometimes get like -9, but BR is just -2 or -3. I am trying to improve my LR score because I'm stuck in the 160s, but in BR I get like 170-175.What suggestions do you guys have?

Comments

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

If timing is your issue, I think going through the 40s and 50s could definitely help. Try doing an LR "bootcamp" for a week or 2 where you concentrate the bulk of your studying on doing timed LR sections (2 LR sections per day with full BR and explanation videos). Some people have found it helpful to collect missed questions in a "scrapbook" to constantly review. Although this didn't work for me when I was in your situation, you could try it and see if it works for you. I always aimed for completing the first 15 questions in 15 min, 20 in 20-23min and the rest of the questions in the rest of the time - if I got through the first 10 questions in 7 min I knew I was on the right track. If a question is holding you back from keeping your time, learn to recognize this right away and skip it no matter what. I came back to skipped questions after I finished the 2 pages in front of me (ex: I would go through all questions on pages 1-2, and if I skipped say #3 I would come back to it as soon as I finished all the other questions on those two pages. Then i would bubble and turn the page to move on. I hope this helps!

• 615 karma

I’ll start with 60s even from next week! But I’ll also work on single sections because my main concern is timing... never have finished an LR/RC section in time...

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    If timing is your issue, I think going through the 40s and 50s could definitely help. Try doing an LR "bootcamp" for a week or 2 where you concentrate the bulk of your studying on doing timed LR sections (2 LR sections per day with full BR and explanation videos). Some people have found it helpful to collect missed questions in a "scrapbook" to constantly review. Although this didn't work for me when I was in your situation, you could try it and see if it works for you. I always aimed for completing the first 15 questions in 15 min, 20 in 20-23min and the rest of the questions in the rest of the time - if I got through the first 10 questions in 7 min I knew I was on the right track. If a question is holding you back from keeping your time, learn to recognize this right away and skip it no matter what. I came back to skipped questions after I finished the 2 pages in front of me (ex: I would go through all questions on pages 1-2, and if I skipped say #3 I would come back to it as soon as I finished all the other questions on those two pages. Then i would bubble and turn the page to move on. I hope this helps!

I just started trying this and I'm seeing good results. Thank you so much! I hope this helps, but I'm afraid that I'm only doing better because it is the 40s. I don't want to see a fall in 50s, 60s, and onwards. :disappointed:

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

@Princess said:

@"Victoria." said:

I just started trying this and I'm seeing good results. Thank you so much! I hope this helps, but I'm afraid that I'm only doing better because it is the 40s. I don't want to see a fall in 50s, 60s, and onwards. :disappointed:

As someone who took tests 14-56, I don't recall noticing a big difference in the LR sections between the 40's and the 50's. Looking through my excel sheet with my scores, I actually did worse in the 40's in LR than in the 50's. But I think that's normal since the more you practice, the better you'll get.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Thank you so much! I'm hoping that happens for me too. Did you see a huge difference between LR from 40s/50s to 60s onwards?

@cooljon525 said:

@Princess said:

@"Victoria." said:

As someone who took tests 14-56, I don't recall noticing a big difference in the LR sections between the 40's and the 50's. Looking through my excel sheet with my scores, I actually did worse in the 40's in LR than in the 50's. But I think that's normal since the more you practice, the better you'll get.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

@Princess said:
    Thank you so much! I'm hoping that happens for me too. Did you see a huge difference between LR from 40s/50s to 60s onwards?

@cooljon525 said:

@Princess said:

@"Victoria." said:

I haven't taken LR sections after PT 60 yet.