Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips & Tricks for Adapting to Digital

fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
edited July 2019 in General 404 karma

Hi everyone!

I was browsing through the "How to study for the digital" discussion and saw it was mostly format related questions... I haven't seen discussions on how people are adapting to digital so thought I might get one going. I have written Nov 2018, March 2019 tests (both 161 lol) so definitely required some adjustments!

I have taken I think 5 PTs using the digital tester and feel like I've developed my "toolbox" of techniques. My scores are currently in the upper 160s/lower 170s... I think one of the main reasons I've seen this jump is because the digital tester has allowed me to gain about 5 mins per section. Would love to hear others' tips + tricks as well!

(PS -- Thanks to the 7Sage team for all their work on the digital tester!! I am using an iPad and Apple pencil and it works beautifully!!)

7/15/2019 edit after my experience on July 2019 digital test

Get psyched!
I was anxious when I realized July might be digital. But I forced myself to feel excited about it and I got over my anxiety a lot quicker than I thought I would.

Use highlighter for segmenting LR stims
I used to break up LR stims by segmenting them with pencil / marks. Not being able to segment the stim was what I feared most, but now I use the orange highlighter to segment the passages by marking the period or the space between words. It actually works so much better than my pencil marks because the orange pops.

womp womp, the real digital won't let you highlight only spaces. I used the red highlighter to highlight the conclusion of the argument and focused on that and used the yellow highlighter to highlight key/relevant premises (but only when I really needed to/for complicated stims... for me, highlighting conclusion was usually enough).

Use highlighter for marking potential answer options
The "eliminate" option is super helpful, but I found making highlight marks on the answer options that are potentials help my eyes focus on the contenders a little better than when I only eliminate answer options.
https://i.imgur.com/kSI5f78.png

Marking up RC
I use the memory method for RC. I use a highlighter to highlight any information I think I would need to remember.

If it's a particularly complicated passage with 2 ideas/views/theories/etc. in the passage, I use one highlighter to mark up things related to group 1 and the other highlighter for group 2.

I also use alternating highlighter color to highlight the first word of each paragraph so that I can easily distinguish paragraphs.

In my scratch paper, I jot down the paragraph # along with 1-2 key words about that paragraph. Since you can't see the entire passage in one view, mapping the passage out like this is super helpful in getting me to the right place in the passage quickly, esp for paragraph references (e.g. "What is the purpose of the third paragraph?")

Fold scrap paper in half, hot dog style
My middle school math teacher was very insistent on us folding our papers in half to create 2 columns and completing assignments with our work flowing from left column downward, then right column downward (if that makes sense...) It helped stay organized and efficiently used the space, especially on unlined paper. 20ish years later, I still do this with any kind of scrap paper note taking, and it's been helpful for me on the LSATs as well. Since the space is narrow, it helps me write straighter and groups notes into a smaller surface area so when I'm looking at my paper the notes come into single view. When I make a mistake, I just cross it out and continue underneath. I only put a single line through it JUST in case it turns out I didn't make a mistake so that the notes are still legible. I can rewrite it quickly (or just refer to it) without spending extra time trying to figure out what I had written.

Knowing exactly how my scrap paper will flow has taken the guesswork out of where I'm going to write, and taking out that guesswork I think has been impactful in my race against time.

PS -- for LG, I fold the paper so that the right column is slightly larger than the left. I'll write the game board on the right column and do questions on the left.

LG scrap paper use example
https://i.imgur.com/yj5biTc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3ucjcQm.jpg

Clearly mark everything on scrap paper
I clearly number all the notes I take. When I'm done with a question I draw a horizontal line that separates it from the next question. If feel confident of my answer, I draw a single, large diagonal line through that section of notes. If I'm NOT confident of my answer and feel like I'll come back to it, I circle or star the question number prominently.

Practice solving problems with 1:30 timer countdown
I LOVE that there's a built in timer, but at first it was terrifying, especially towards the end. I freaked out when the clock turned red at the 5 min mark and panic heightened especially after the 2 min mark. Knowing that I generally average a little over 1 min/question, I knew that it would be critical for me to keep my cool at the end, especially if I'm actually solving a new question and not reviewing. I set a timer at 1:30 and just trained myself to "be normal" as I watch the timer countdown. I developed an awareness of what it feels like watching the countdown at the 1 min mark, at the 30 second mark, 15 second mark etc... basically, I realized that 30 seconds is a lot "longer" than I thought (also, planking for 30 seconds feels like 30 mins haha). Anyways, a calm 30 seconds vs. panicked 30 seconds can be the difference between -0 vs. -4

Simplify your mark ups (added 5/24)
This technique may be more suitable for those scoring 160+ who have a fairly strong grasp of the LSATs.
When I was preparing for paper LSATs, as my skills grew, my passage mark ups became simpler: I underlined things or segmented sentences using / marks. Since on paper, I really only used 1 type of mark-up (lines), I have been able to translate that into digital using only 1 highlighter tool. I gave myself about 6 LR sections to adjust any time I made a change before making a judgement call on its effectiveness.

When I learned the digital tester would include multiple highlighting options, I was excited at first. Then I realized that switching among the different functions is somewhat time consuming. I tried my best to find a mark-up technique that uses only 1 highlighter tool.

If your paper test mark ups have been fairly complex (on average, you use 3+ types of symbols like brackets, underlining and circling), try simplifying it by evaluating which kinds of mark ups are absolutely vital to the way you process information. You may find that there are some marks you make more out of habit than necessity.

Anyways, these are some tools I've developed for myself to prepare for digital. I'll post a pic of examples of LR passage mark ups soon.

Would love to hear tips and tricks from others as well!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Great post! Do you think you've gained 5 minutes per section mainly due to the mechanics of digital formatting/highlighting/bubbling? Seems like a lot of extra time per section. Were your PT scores before the March test and the digital tester at least closer to the mid-high 160s? My guess is the format is better for you and you have improved which both contribute to that extra time.

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 404 karma

@drbrown2 I do think the mechanics has made a bigger difference for me than skill improvement. Just to clarify, I'm not finishing the sections with 5 mins to spare (well, except LG). I deduced that I gained about 5 mins, because when I took PTs "untimed" (i.e. with a stopwatch) LR and RC took me about 40 mins to complete and I'd score in the high 160s/low 170s. I've now gotten to a place where I am able to comfortably finish each section in the allotted 35 mins and hitting those scores. Also, LG has been my strongest section. I would usually finish with about 1-2 min left and score 0 to -2... in my most recent PT I finished with about 6 mins left and got -0. So that's how I've deduced I gained about 5 mins.

I personally feel like I prob spent more time than average bubbling/double checking. Before the start of the test when everyone fills out their name etc on the scantron, both Nov and March I was one of the last people and needed more time (in a room of about 60 people!)... I never thought I was unusually slow until then! Also whenever I skipped questions, I was super cautious about double checking I'm on the right line and I guess I also didn't have the best system for tracking which questions I left blank so spending time scanning for lines I left blank etc... now those things have all been eliminated.

From what I've read in this forum and elsewhere, people on average seem to be gaining about 3 mins in the digital format. I think the techniques I've adopted for myself overall add to helping me process information more efficiently.

• LSATBYEBYELSATBYEBYE Member
    37 karma

@yafrcho Thank you for the tips! I am taking July test as well, and currently score around upper 160s. I find digital reading comp turns out to be helpful as I can't make too much marks on the paper, so I have to force myself to have a bigger picture of the passage.

I am still figuring out a way of noting LR questions, and I'm wondering could you share more about highlighting the space and period between sentences? Do you highlight every space in between? Thanks!

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

Great post! I’d love to see a pic of how you use the scrap paper for LG. This GIF shows how to post a picture https://media.giphy.com/media/557gld0aYMA3RMVill/giphy.gif

• Linda1205Linda1205 Member
    215 karma

Thanks for sharing! do we only have one digital prep test that is on lsac.org? Or how many digital versions we have to practice?

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

Thanks for these tips! I’m about to take my first digital PT and will definitely incorporate these.

404 karma

@LSATBYEBYE I'll post something either later tonight or tomorrow... I realized that I can't retroactively go back to the questions so I'll screenshot a PT section tomorrow. But basically, I used to put / marks in between sentences or words to segment the LR stim. I think when I actively create breaks like that, it helps me better intake a particularly complicated LR passage.

404 karma

@Linda1205 It looks like you have the Ultimate+ so you should have access to all the 7Sage PTs in digital format! If you click on the practice tests that are available to you you should see an option to take the test via the 7Sage digital tester.

404 karma

@Lawster9 thanks so much for the info! I just updated my post with some images of my LG scrap paper use.

404 karma

@angalfaria said:
    I want to know what kind of format I can use for the digital study?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by format? I have the 7sage starter course which gives access to a number of PTs in digital tester format, so I use my iPad to take those. I still use paper PTs because I have the Official LSAT and PowerScore books so when using those, I still use scrap paper to simulate the digital experience as best as possible. Does this answer your question?

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Thanks so much for creating this post OP!

I’m nervous that going from apaper to digital will affect things like:

1) reading retention: I read awhile ago that we retain thjngs better and actually read faster on paper vs digital

2) do really save THAT much time from not having to bubble? I think I take anywhere from 1-2 mins to bubble per section. But I have this sense that fumbling around with the different highlighter choices may actually equal the same sacrifice of time in the bubbling process

3) changing a process that one has already become familiar with: it’s tough to change habits I’ve grown accustomed to on paper. Habits that have become comforting, even. But of well

4) RC seems to be the most challenging issue for me at the moment because you won’t necessarily know what to highlight from the beginning. I end to mark up , circular and draw arrows between referential markers a lot. I suppose highlighting could help with this regard but doesn’t feel as flexible

• LSATJediLSATJedi Alum Member
    87 karma

@yafrcho I really appreciate the advise: I started to implement the "fold the page" strategy. Awesome!

• sarterlsusarterlsu Alum Member
    12 karma

Thank you so much!!! Deeply appreciate these tips

3106 karma

@yafrcho

Hey! Are there thjngs about the digital LSAT that you actually actively PREFER/gives you an advantage over the paper version? I mean the extra time alone... that’s wow. I had the idea that the extra time needed to adjust to all the highlighting and such would actually equate to the total time you spent bubbling anyway.

Just need to psyche myself to embrace the change!

404 karma

Hey @Mike_Ross ! The not having to bubble/worry about mistaken scantron is HUGE for me. I wrote this earlier:

@yafrcho said:
    I personally feel like I prob spent more time than average bubbling/double checking. Before the start of the test when everyone fills out their name etc on the scantron, both Nov and March I was one of the last people and needed more time (in a room of about 60 people!)... I never thought I was unusually slow until then! Also whenever I skipped questions, I was super cautious about double checking I'm on the right line and I guess I also didn't have the best system for tracking which questions I left blank so spending time scanning for lines I left blank etc... now those things have all been eliminated.

For me, the peace of mind regarding accuracy has been something I definitely prefer and it's been the main source of my "psyching up" haha

Actually, one thing that's perhaps unique about me... I hate marking up books. So when I was practicing even for the paper test, I was already using scratch paper and making very minimal/simple markings in my PT books. I think having developed a habit of taking the LSATs with minimal mark ups on the actual test has worked to my advantage. I would maybe recommend as an "interim" step to try drills on paper PTs using minimal markings + scratch paper. (I've edited my post to include this info)

When the beta tester came out, I spent a good chunk of time just playing with the interface/experimenting and figuring out what works for me. Very early on I realized I need to minimize the switching back and forth between highlighting functions if I want to take advantage of the time I've "gained" so I tried to find a way to effectively use just one highlighter.

I'm gonna try to post some of my LR/RC markings at some point this weekend since people have been curious and I can explain more then. Stay tuned!

3106 karma

@fycw2068 said:
    Hey @Mike_Ross ! The not having to bubble/worry about mistaken scantron is HUGE for me. I wrote this earlier:

@yafrcho said:

For me, the peace of mind regarding accuracy has been something I definitely prefer and it's been the main source of my "psyching up" haha

Actually, one thing that's perhaps unique about me... I hate marking up books. So when I was practicing even for the paper test, I was already using scratch paper and making very minimal/simple markings in my PT books. I think having developed a habit of taking the LSATs with minimal mark ups on the actual test has worked to my advantage. I would maybe recommend as an "interim" step to try drills on paper PTs using minimal markings + scratch paper. (I've edited my post to include this info)

When the beta tester came out, I spent a good chunk of time just playing with the interface/experimenting and figuring out what works for me. Very early on I realized I need to minimize the switching back and forth between highlighting functions if I want to take advantage of the time I've "gained" so I tried to find a way to effectively use just one highlighter.

I'm gonna try to post some of my LR/RC markings at some point this weekend since people have been curious and I can explain more then. Stay tuned!

Totally agreed re: your point on minimizing the switching back and forth between highlighter colors! Lol sometimes the added choices create a new kind of time sink. This is why i reaches out to ask the community what they found most useful I. Their quest to adapt. Maybe Shikoku using one color and the underline options are simply good enough

• LSATBYEBYELSATBYEBYE Member
    37 karma

@fycw2068 said:
    @LSATBYEBYE I'll post something either later tonight or tomorrow... I realized that I can't retroactively go back to the questions so I'll screenshot a PT section tomorrow. But basically, I used to put / marks in between sentences or words to segment the LR stim. I think when I actively create breaks like that, it helps me better intake a particularly complicated LR passage.

Thank you so much!!!

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

Thanks so much for this!! Also, does anyone have any idea how many pieces of scrap paper we'll get? If we run out of space, can we ask for a second sheet of paper?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think we'll get many pages of scrap paper--per other forums, more than enough, but it'll be great to hear more on this from people who took the digital pilot tests.

404 karma

@ilovethelsat @lsatplaylist According to a PowerScore blogpost people will be given a booklet of scratch paper with about 14-16 sheets and you have to turn in the booklet with your test. https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-digital-lsat/

3106 karma

@fycw2068

Hey! Thanks for posting the pics! I really think that your idea of using the highlighter to separate our segments of premises may be the best thing I’ve seen so far!

I think I’d use the yellow to highlight conclusions and the red to separate out premises. The rest would be context

Either this or use the underline to identify conclusion, and use highlighter to separate premises and identify key words

404 karma

@Mike_Ross I'm glad it's helpful! I got to a place where I was fairly confident in my ability to identify the conclusion so now I just place my finger near it haha it saves having to switch one time. Or you could use orange to space out premises and then use the same orange to fully highlight the conclusion sentence?

3106 karma

@fycw2068 said:
    @Mike_Ross I'm glad it's helpful! I got to a place where I was fairly confident in my ability to identify the conclusion so now I just place my finger near it haha it saves having to switch one time. Or you could use orange to space out premises and then use the same orange to fully highlight the conclusion sentence?

Yes anything to save on the switching around.

Now to deal with RC...

• abolitionistabolitionist Member
    24 karma

Question for you-- as you are doing practice tests with the digital lsat tester how have you been able to do blind review after the test is complete?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@abolitionist said:
    Question for you-- as you are doing practice tests with the digital lsat tester how have you been able to do blind review after the test is complete?

I have a method but there’s probably a better way to do it. I think I’ll take the digital test then fill out a bubble sheet with my answers, clear or delete the test data and go through the questions I had flagged (which I note on the bubble sheet).

Then I put my BR answers on the same bubble sheet but with pen so I can tell the difference and I put everything into the analytics the old way.

404 karma

@abolitionist @"Pride Only Hurts" The 7Sage digital tester actually has a built in blind review. Once you complete the test, it gives you an opportunity to blind review... you can do it any time and even close your browser and come back to it later.