Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score Decrease

HopefulLAwHopefulLAw Free Trial Member
in General 17 karma

I'm really beginning to feel defeated. I started off with a diagnostic of 140 and have been practicing only my scores has dropped to a 139 and then to a 138 as of my latest prep test tonight. I'm seriously just considering taking the GRE which will lower my options of schools to choose from and take all of my top choices out of the running. I just cannot seem to conquer the LSAT and I hate that this test is the most important part of the law school application process! I can do the actual work but when it comes to tests, I struggle big time.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

When did you start studying? Honestly, I wouldn't think of a one or two point as a decrease to worry about right now. Depending on the curve of the test, you might have gotten the same amount of questions right. At this point in your studying, I wouldn't recommend PTing. Scores in the 130s/140s indicate that you still have room to grow when it comes to the fundamentals, so spend some time focusing on those and then PT when you're ready to work on timing, strategy, and endurance.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    edited June 2019 1058 karma

Stop PTing. Just stop. I was in that range maaannny years ago(Obama's 1st term) and PTing at that stage just hurts you so bad. Period. Drill sections and Foolproof the shit out of games. With drills, you can easily get to the 150 land. Only after that should you start CONSIDERING whether to re-start PTing or not.
    P.S_ When I was in that range, I didn't understand the difference between sufficient and necessary conditions. When doing in and out games, if I had a conditional rule A -> B and was given that when B was in, I erroneously inferred that A had to be in as well. It's very possible that you also lack fundamentals like this at this stage. If you haven't done the CC, now is the time.

• FilibusterFilibuster Alum Member
    edited June 2019 100 karma

@MissChanandler and @Regis_Phalange63 brought up great points. Don't be too concerned with a slight decrease at this stage. These PTs vary in terms of difficulty. Drilling is paramount if you want to see progress. Blind Review is another huge factor. When you BR, don't just look at a question and be like, "oh yeah, that's what I should have done". You need to have this approach: "What mistake(s) did I make, how can I avoid these mistakes in the future, why was my answer choice wrong, why were all the other wrong answer choices wrong, etc."

It's so beneficial to understand yourself and how you think. Try not to be discouraged by low scores. If you really want it, you have to take the necessary steps to improve. It doesn't happen overnight. As @"Cant Get Right" once said: "Learning to see further is always hard work. If it's not horribly frustrating, you're almost certainly doing the wrong thing!"

Don't worry about PTing, especially if you haven't completed the CC. PTing can wait. Focus on understanding yourself and this will help you understand the LSAT. Maybe you're experiencing a little burnout. Take a little break, whether it be a couple days or a week. Come back refreshed and ready to grind. Many of us have been in the same boat. It just takes some persistence. You got this!