Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the July LSAT this weekend?

PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
edited August 2019 in Law School Admissions 446 karma

My test is rescheduled to this weekend. I have two cancels on my file already, and two 15x from January and March. My goal is 165+. Here is my recent five PT scores and BR scores:

6/7: PT 63 (retake) 163, BR 172
6/18: PT 71 (retake) 167, BR 173
6/26: PT 78 (retake) 166, BR 175
7/3: PT 79 (retake) 169, BR 180
7/17: PT 87 163, BR 176

I have exhausted all recent PTs numbered 40 and forward. PT 63 I took and reviewed two years ago, PT 71, 78, 79 I took and reviewed a year ago. So those scores are probably inflated. PT 87 probably is the most representative of my current ability but I'm worried about the "test day toll". I haven't figured out a way to close that BR gap and hearing how difficult July test is makes me doubt if I should sit for the test this weekend. I will keep any score above 158 but if I get 158 again, or lower, I'm inclined to cancel and retake for free in October. However, I already have two cancels on my file so I'm not sure adding one cancel just for the free retake is worth it. Does the third cancel look worse or a lower/same score?
Also, I'm not sure if I will ever be able to figure out how to close that BR gap. I started BR only on 6/7 but I have been studying for the test for two years. I feel so exhausted and just want to be done with it. My family is upset that I haven't been able to move on with my life because of this test, too.

Comments

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

I see three people voted but can anyone tell me why you think so?

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited July 2019 737 karma

I would say take it because it's sort of a low-risk test. Just see it as a worthwhile gamble, and don't get too emotionally attached to the outcome. PT 87 shows you only 2 points away from your minimum goal. Only avoid the July test if you're afraid that you emotionally won't be to handle taking it and then potentially starting prep back up for October. If you think you can show up and take it without getting too emotionally invested in whether you're going to hit your goal on July's test, go for it. I have, actually, a really similar history with the test to yours - just with fewer cancels - and I took July as a bit of a "gamble" since it's the last test that doesn't count toward a lifetime takes limit and there's the option to retake for free. I have no idea what my score's going to be due to the LR section with 26 questions being apparently real when I figured it was experimental, but I'm probably going to be starting prep for September or October here soon.

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

don't get too emotionally attached to the outcome >

I think that's gold. I think you should take it if you feel confident. If you have bad test anxiety and waiting longer would lessen your anxiety, then wait. I feel like if you are very anxious you may perform worse (at least I do).

I think you should use a lot of positive affirmation to raise your self confidence! You are scoring so high, do not doubt yourself!

You have been practicing for MONTHS, you can DO THIS! Do whatever makes you feel best and the least anxious.

Best of luck!

edited July 2019 446 karma

@ExcludedMiddle
    Thank you for your advice! I’m just worried about potentially having the fourth cancel. But I guess three cancels vs four cancels are not that different? I hope I will show improvement from last time and won’t have to cancel! I will be prepping for October while waiting for the score, too. We got this!

edited July 2019 446 karma

@Lolo1996
    Thank you for your encouragement! I needed this! I’m just having a cold feet seeing so many people complaining how hard the July test was. But I’m over that now. I feel very relaxed now after thinking through this decision and I think I’m ready :)

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited July 2019 470 karma

@KarateMaster said:
    @Lolo1996
    Thank you for your encouragement! I needed this! I’m just having a cold feet seeing so many people complaining how hard the July test was.

There's probably a bit of selection bias going on. On average, one who took the exam and felt like it went alright is not as likely to go post about it ("just took the exam -- wasn't too bad!") as someone who felt the exam was very difficult ("omg that last game -- did anyone else get screwed?"... "Please tell me that LR section was experimental!"). So by reading the forums right after the exam, one would gather that every single LSAT exam was more difficult than usual.

446 karma

@MIT_2017 that’s a good point! I remember seeing the complaints about how “unprecedentedly” hard the test was for January and March LSAT haha