Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teaching Assistant LOR

Hi everyone. I'm kind of in a predicament, and was wondering if I can have your insights/inputs. I'm in the process of asking for LOR from individuals, one of these individuals was a teaching assistant I had for one of my lab classes. Of all my years in undergrad, she was one of the only individuals who I can safely say really understood who I was as a student. If asked for, I'm sure she will write me a recommendation letter that has an honest testimonial of my capability as a student and everything that a typical law school LOR is looking for. The thing though is, because she is a teaching assistant she's afraid that her recommendation of me will not hold much weight in comparison to faculty members. What is your guys' opinion on this? Because, I went to a large undergrad institute, and most of my classes had 100+ plus students. If I were to ask a professor for recommendations, it's very unlikely I will receive a LOR as genuine and insightful as the one from the TA. Do you think it's ok for a TA to write a LOR as long as the LOR is a strong recommendation? Some sources I've seen online say 'yes', other's say 'no'.

Thank you!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

The position of your recommender/their title means almost nothing. What is important is that they oversaw your academic work and can speak to its merit. I would definitely ask her

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

Almost all the sources I've seen think that the exact position of the LOR's author is not very important and more or less echoes what @MissChanandler said above.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Advice from admissions officers: The most effective LORs are enthusiastic and specific and written by people who are familiar with your academic/professional work product. Before you go with a recommender, make sure s/he is able to write a letter that is strong AND positive. Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sounds like it's fine. Echoing the above comments.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma