Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do recommendation letters expire?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply this cycle, but only if I achieve my goal score on the Sept/Oct exam. I feel like waiting until I get my scores to ask for recommendation letters from my professors will be too late, but also am concerned that after asking, I may end up needing to postpone my application until next year.

tl;dr - Can I ask for recommendation letters even if I might not end up applying this year? If so, when should I ask?

Thanks!

Comments

• SuperMario929SuperMario929 Alum Member
    464 karma

My recommendation letters are still sitting in my profile from all the way back in December 2014. You should be ok if you ask for them now and wait a year or two. Only things to consider are: 1) will something about the letter potentially improve before your later date? If so, I would wait. 2) Make sure your professor doesn't put a hard date on the letter or imply a date if possible (e.g. "I hope you take this student this coming fall." For all I know the CAS report might show when a letter was submitted anyway so maybe it's not worth worrying about, but worth considering.

For what it's worth: I used a LOR from about two years ago on a T14 app this past Feb (got in, unfortunately had to decline due to spousal relocation) and the school didn't seem to mind. I think you can ask now if you want.

• rebelwithoutaclauserebelwithoutaclause Alum Member
    36 karma

Gotcha, thanks so much!