Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Running out of PT

coffeelover08coffeelover08 Alum Member
in General 18 karma

Hi guys,

I joined 7Sage in June but was with Kaplan for about a year. I’ve taken practice tests 36-66 already. I just finished the core curriculum and I’m not sure which timed PTs I should take. My test is in Nov and I’m worried if I take 67+ PT that I’ll run out of tests way before my actual tests. Should I just retake 36-66 and then continue on with 67+ or should I just start focusing on 67+? Please help!

Comments

• DanielB84DanielB84 Alum Member
    95 karma

Is it considered unadvisable to take the tests prior to 36? Or did you use them for your drills etc? If you did, maybe you can mix in some tests from the 36-66 PTs with some 67+ tests leading to November. I was always told unless you are getting 180s when you retake tests, there is always something to learn from them.

Good luck :)

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

If I were you, I would drill practice tests 36-66. Im not sure how accurate it is, but I have heard that tests 1-36 are slightly more difficult (the LG at least). I would also drill 1-36 as timed sections making sure to do BR. Maybe come mid September I would start taking 67+ full length Pt's but no more than one or two a week. Whatever you choose to do don't forget to blind review!

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I actually want to make a post on this when/if I finish my LSAT journey, but what I did that was largely helpful was drilling 40-50s for LR and RC repeatedly. As in, try to retake sections with 30 minutes instead of 35, and BR everything each time. I then used whatever I had already burned as a PT to drill in the same way. For PTs 1-35, people tend to foolproof all of the Logic Games, but after doing almost all of the newer PTs (I think have 2-3 saved) I've actually started doing the RC passages from PT 1 and up, and it's honestly been really helpful to have fresh passages to interact with. It think they are a little easier than the newer RC, but what you have to do with them is largely the same (and I don't think they are by any means super easy).

Anyway, long story short, re-doing sections you've already completed definitely helps solidify patterns and increase familiarity with particular tricks and nuanced language.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Many students have retaken PTs by rotating them and found it beneficial. Hope this helps. Also, you seem to still have a fair amount of fresh PTs.

• Isaiah4110Isaiah4110 Alum Member
    275 karma

I actually found the LR sections from earlier PTs (17-39) very comparable to the difficulties (I.e. complexity of language, length of stimuli/answer choices) of the modern tests. Some of the sections have a 4/5 star on the 7Sage difficulty scale, which I don’t recall any for the more recent tests.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

There is a lot of value on tests 1-35 particularly with the logic games. These tests in particular tend to have harder logic game sections so these are good tests to go through and really fool proof games on.

There is value in taking repeat prep tests because you will find yourself making some of the same errors. There are several podcasts from top scoring students who discuss the value of re using PrepTests if you haven’t heard them.

Also, you probably finished the CC already but the digital practice sets have just been added to that. You may find value in doing the practice sets or creating practice sets from the question bank this way as well.

• coffeelover08coffeelover08 Alum Member
    18 karma

Thank you all so much for the responses and feedback. I really appreciate it and love the 7sage community; wish I had found this resource right away when I started this journey!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

I highly doubt you'd be getting 180s on those PTs you've done already if you were to do them all over again. I've re-used some PTs up to 4 times yet I still get a few wrong. Still plenty out there to learn.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2019 1866 karma

I just want to echo what others have said here--retakes are incredibly valuable! In my case, my final jump from a 168 to a 174 was completely with retakes (some exams/sections I retook for the third or fourth time) because I'd burned through all my PTs by then. So I strongly, strongly advocate retaking old exams.

Later, as you fill in the gaps in your knowledge and improve your skills with this exam, you can intermittently take new PTs (while continuing with retakes) to better benchmark your progress.

Also recommend PTs 1-35 for foolproofing and drilling! There's been a resurgence of misc LG in recent exams similar to the ones in 1-35, and the RC from those exams are also notably difficult and solid practice for the RC in recent exams.