Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Falling asleep while studying.....

m_limon1m_limon1 Member
in General 21 karma

So this is really silly, but it's starting to become a problem for me. I started to study for the LSAT in February and have been avg out about 5 hours daily every day. I'm mostly drilling right now and the LSAT practice test I took I scored 164 (I am aiming for a 168-169).... I'm still studying about 5hrs untill I take it in Oct.

Does anyone have advice on how to not get sleepy while studying? I'm well rested, but I think at this point I am kind of bored and maybe that is making me sleepy... it's just really annoying trying to study and my eyes just closing on me every five minutes! Has anyone else experience this? This is so dumb but I don't know what to do!!!!

Comments

• JiminBiminJiminBimin Core Member
    72 karma

I experienced exactly the same thing lmao. I usually would sleep for an hour but then sometimes I ended up sleeping for over 2 hours. Green tea has helped me a lot. So i start studying early in the day and I drink green tea to keep myself awake and i take breaks every two hours for about 30 minutes to keep myself up!.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

When you start to get sleepy, stand and do jumping jacks for 60 seconds, or take a jog around your building. Something physical to get your heart pumping should help to keep you more alert.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Definitely break up your hours into chunks if you can. Is it possible to study in a different location? Maybe a cafe where there would be a bit more noise and light to keep you awake (and bonus, help you prepare for test day distractions)?

• chicago234chicago234 Alum Member
    163 karma

I think the biggest thing is breaking up the routine. Try different study methods.
    take a break from studying for a few days and just read the economist/challenging texts. exercise before you study (or exercise while you study, sometimes after doing LG I'd go for a jog while listening to the audio of the explanations).
    switch up the strategies while studying to make it more interesting (instead of looking for the right answer, always look for the 4 wrong answers) (or find the trap answer choices on harder LR questions and pretend you're the test maker explaining to your coworkers why the trap answer choice will trick people)