Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That Was Unexpected: Should I Retake in September?

CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
edited August 2019 in General 148 karma

This community has been so helpful to me so I'm hoping you all can advise me (sorry for the lengthy post)

I just got my score for July back and it was higher than I thought it would be given how hard the test felt (yay!). I got a 172. Originally I was planning using July as a practice, since this was my first actual test and I had only taken 3 PTs before it and I figured I could do better, so I registered for the September test before I even took the July test. Since my score was higher than expected I'm not so sure I actually should even take the September one. My post diagnostic PT scores have been 170/173/173/175 (this past weekend). Every BR I've done has been 179.

I am not striving to go to a T-14. I want to practice public interest law, there's a very high possibility I want to become Public Defender but I also want to learn more about immigration law, labor law, or some sort of progressive policy council. No part of me will EVER want any kind of corporate or non public interest law. The biggest thing I am looking for in schools I am applying to be able to go tuition free (ideally with living expenses covered as well) as I don't want to take on debt since I won't be able to pay it off with the kind of law I want to practice.

My undergrad was pass/fail so I don't have a GPA but it was a pretty good school. I have been in the workforce for almost 6 years doing working as a general manager of a business, a mid-higher level work for nonprofits, and I am about to start a job as a Union Field Representative.

My list of schools (with the 75th percentile score in parenthesis) I wanted to apply to initially are as follows:
NYU (172), CUNY (158), Seattle University (157), American University (160), Cardozo (162), University of Washington (165). I've also been considering Georgetown (168) and Columbia (167/172/174-this is the 25/50/75th percentile list).

My considerations over the decision are below:

If I decide to retake, I think there is a very reasonable chance I could score in the 174-177 range. Since July I have studied a lot and really shored up some of my weaknesses in logical reasoning. I'm assuming a higher number will make it easier for me to get a full ride. It's possible if I blew it out of the water I'd consider higher placed school, but since I'm doing Public Interest I don't really see the need to.

If I decide to withdraw and not retake, I free up the next month to focus on getting my application materials together (something I haven't done at all) and could likely apply earlier as a result (October instead of November). I've been told that applying earlier increases my chance for getting scholarships. I'm also starting a new job on Monday so I can devote more attention to adjusting to that. I also don't run the risk of somehow bombing a test and hurting my 172 average I currently have.

Given all of this, what do you all think I should do? Feel free to ask questions!! Thank you!

Need Advice: Should I Retake in September?
  1. Should I retake in September?76 votes
    1. Yes
      13.16%
    2. No
      86.84%

Comments

• CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
    148 karma

Thank you everyone form voting so far! For those of you who voted yes/no anyone have insight into why or why not?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2019 3256 karma

If you really aren't interested in the t-14 and just want a full ride at your regional school, I think you're in great shape and there is no reason to retake. You're already way above most of their medians, and it's possible that they would see a retake as a sign that you are aiming higher and only applying to them (the lower ranked schools) as safeties. You'd also be missing out on applying earlier, like you said. Now having said that, for NYU and Columbia, a retake would probably help scholarship chances. For what it's worth, I retook a 172 and got a 173. I think it was worth it, but I'm also aiming for the upper T14.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Excellent score!

148 karma

@MissChanandler That's helpful insight. I don't really wanna go to Columbia but it made my list as a potential in the case I got like a high 170s score. I would attend NYU if I could get a strong scholarship, but I think that would probably come in the form of one of their public interest scholarships anyways. It's hard to tell if a 173-175 second score would help more then an extra month of working on application materials since I've heard these scholarships are about a lot more then your LSAT score. Still unsure but I'm leaning towards not retaking.

@lsatplaylist Thank You! Did you end up taking it?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I would keep your score, and if you really want to retake, do it. But I wouldn't cancel that 172. That is a great score. Remember, most schools just take your highest score. So, even if you bombed, you could just write an addendum on how the test day went, and go forward with the 172. If you really feel like you could for sure do better now than what you've done, go for it. There's not much of a downside, and if you feel right after a test that you bombed it, just cancel and move on. Two test takes are not a huge deal.

148 karma

@AudaciousRed well if I were to retake, I would study for the next month. Which means I couldn't work on application materials for the next month, which means I would probably apply a month later than I would if I canceled. That's the decision to make. I think if I studied for the next month, and something didn't go wrong on test day, I could probably get a 174-176 or so.

If I didn't study more and just took it I'm sure I'd do worse then 172 bc of atrophy of the skills.

2689 karma

Realize that you are assuming that your test day will be great and nothing will go wrong and that you will come out with a better score for certain if you cancel and retake. Is 2 points necessary to achieve your goal, or can you do it with an early application and a 172? A 172 seems to get you at or above the 75th percentile of every school on your list but one. Is that one school way more important?
    Realize the possibility that if you cancelled and retook, that there is chance of scoring lower than 172. We have bad days and crappy testing sessions sometimes. I had a migraine during my second take and scored 1 point lower.
    172 fits most of your needs. I would keep it.

148 karma

@AudaciousRed sorry if I was unclear. No matter what I decide I'm keeping the 172. The question is just whether I should take the September test as well.

Also after doing more research, I will not be applying to Columbia or Georgetown. However I will be applying to NYU.

2689 karma

@CircleTurk said:
    @AudaciousRed sorry if I was unclear. No matter what I decide I'm keeping the 172. The question is just whether I should take the September test as well.

Also after doing more research, I will not be applying to Columbia or Georgetown. However I will be applying to NYU.

Ahh.. Gotcha. I understood as this being a retest using the cancellation offer. :)

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

You can still apply to your target schools even if you take the September test. The schools you will apply to will see that you have a pending score and then it can always be updated later if you score higher than your 172. Unless it's financially burdensome, I would take the September test. You really don't have much to lose and you are more than capable of an even higher score.

• hhhakobianhhhakobian Alum Member
    89 karma

If you're almost certain that you will get a higher score? Yes. A point or two would go far especially since for you merit aid is a huge factor. For example in my case I would love to exchange financial aid in lieu of T14. BUT, if we're comparing your preferred schools then all things equal you should want a higher score. If you can, why not? You'd save thousands of extra dollars at least just by spending 200$ on another test and according to yourself not much extra effort apparently. I'm confused why, given your own set of values (low school cost/saving money, wanting to go to a more T30 or something school, public interest etc) you're denying yourself the opportunity to do well.
    Given the chance, wouldn't you redo something to get a better result in life? You have that opportunity with the LSAT. When you have a case in the future you won't get the chance to get a marginally better verdict for your client(s). But you do now, so you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying.
    P.S. not trying to bash your self esteem :) I know you have self respect, I'm just using that assumption to form a conclusion. #LRpracticeirl.