Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Reasoning Help: How to do well!?

asadshehryar7asadshehryar7 Alum Member

Hi Everyone,
I was hoping someone would be willing to share their progression in improving the Logic Reasoning section of the LSAT, and how they were able to get good at both speed and accuracy!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Blind review. Break down the stimulus, write out what the question is asking of you, make sure you correctly identify the conclusion and the support for that conclusion. Write out explanations for the incorrect and correct answer choices, and “fix” incorrect answers to be correct for some questions (really helpful for parallel question types). All this happens untimed during review, before you score the section or practice set. You can compare your notes for each question to the video explanation and to other 7sagers comments. When you do this enough you’ll get faster and more accurate.

Obviously under timed conditions you aren’t going too deep. When the clock is ticking focus in on the conclusion and why the support for that conclusion is wrong, try to predict what you need based on the question type, and practice skipping when appropriate.

• chisal17chisal17 Alum Member
    289 karma

Blind review properly. For the longest time I would just review after knowing the answers, and while I made some slight improvements it wasn't enough to boost my score. I am scoring much better now and it was because I realized I needed to follow and trust the process -- even if it meant having to delay satisfying my curiosity about how well I performed.

Take the exam timed, don't score your test, mark and finish the questions you didnt' get to, and then review your reasoning. That will help improve your comprehension of the material. Reviewing when you know the answer might just help you pick up on patters more frequently. This is not a good strategy if you're aiming to score higher than a 155 because it only carries you so far. What I like to do is make a note of mistakes that I make while taking the exam: didn't read the stimulus to the very end, misread something because I was going too fast, etc. and then think of ways to remedy these mistakes. My score jumped as I did this.

There's no easy solution to improving on logical reasoning. it takes a lot of time and effort. but the end result is worth it. the better you get at comprehension, the faster you will move through the material. but, you have to practice timing as well. its a steady balance but over time you'll get better at it. start with 1PT a week or 1PT every two weeks (depending on the date you're aiming for) and thoroughly blind review that exam. then take the next one.

hope this helps!

• asadshehryar7asadshehryar7 Alum Member
    19 karma

Thanks for the great advice! I will Blind Review like there is no tmmrw!

• edited August 2019 142 karma

Another big thing that really helped me was id'ing what the assumption/gap was in the argument BEFORE going into the answer choices. (especially for strengthening, weakening, SA, NA, Flaw) I used to let the answer choices lead me, and I often fell for trap choices. Try to practice having a pre-phrase of the correct answer in mind (even if it requires reading the stimulus twice). But if you can't find the assumption within 2 reads, don't waste your time and just go right in! Good luck!