Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth applying to a school 4th/5th time?

lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
edited November 2019 in Law School Admissions 488 karma

I know this is going to get a lot of flak by those here. But if someone already has a well established career in SW engineering that pays 6-figure income and opportunity cost of going to LS is only worth if HYS accept (due to academia goals), then:

is a 4th/5th reapplication worth it?

• 1st time: applied with low LSAT
  • 2nd time: applied with low-17x, late app in Jan, denied after WL
  • 3rd time: Oct app, denied after Interview
  • 4th time: Jan app, denied without anything

It already looks neurotic/superbad but other than the 3rd time (cycle which hit record applicants), other times all had issues with lowLSAT or late-app.
Is there no sense anymore and it's done?

Comments

• TorontoVSallTorontoVSall Alum Member
    edited November 2019 104 karma

Who cares about flak or looking neurotic dude? Ask yourself is the chance of you being accepted higher than 0? I would guess that it is, other than time spent on personal essays and such what do you have to lose? Plus you aren't just submitting the same profile repeatedly.

I would go for it, the only thing is that you do have to manage your expectations and reconsider your options eventually. As long as you can bare the possibility of this particular avenue of accomplishing your goals not panning out, I would apply again.

Side-note, I am Canadian so I don't know that much about US schools but I find it hard to believe that any school that is not HYS will limit your ability to go into academia. FWIW, I went to a UK university consistently ranked in the top 5 worldwide and I came across several distinguished researchers (including law) who came from US schools that aren't HYS (albeit ones that are still in the top 20).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think if you wrote a statement of interest you could definitely apply.

• @lsat2016, where you do want to go to school first off?

There are plenty of good law schools out. I don't think that you should give up that easily. Don't limit yourself. The right law school is not what US news and World Report says. It is the one that you feel that you will fit in and do well at. Ask yourself what type of law do you want to practice and where do you want to work. Once you figure that part out, you are on your way there.

• zheng18552zheng18552 Free Trial Member
    edited November 2019 24 karma

The opportunity cost likely would be extremely small for you.

I'd say, go ahead.

But I respectfully disagree with you statement that "only worth if HYS accept" and would urge you to reconsider.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I'm genuinely curious about how this works. Do schools know that you have applied multiple times? At that point is it worth submitting an addendum about why this application is different?

• lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
    488 karma

The opportunity cost likely would be extremely small for you.

how would the opportunity cost be small?

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I understand exactly where you are at. I am also going to be leaving an established career to go to law school and for me, it is only really worth it if I am going to be going to a good school and also if I receive a scholarship/financial aid. That being said there are multiple great schools out there and your dreams of becoming a lawyer should not solely hinge on only one school. You can be picky but still should be applying to multiple schools. I see nothing wrong with re applying, even several times, but ONLY if something has changed. Since the last time you have applied, do you have a higher LSAT score? Are you at or above the median for LSAT score/ GPA for the school you want to go to? If you haven't received a higher score or are above the school's median you should do that first. Then, write a fabulous new personal statement and also an addendum that maybe explains why you are applying again and your interest.