Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about the Main Point and blind review

Just started 7sage, but i realized that i'm having difficulty with the main conclusion practice questions. I can understand the passage and question stem by easily separating the context from the argument to find the conclusion. However, when i go to the answer's i always end up getting confused. Is there a way around this? or is it the more i practice the better i get? Also, for blind review, how does one do it? As when i do blind reviews after the time version i always end up assuming, my original answer is the right answer.

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

If you are confused when you get to the answer choices, is that because you misidentified what you thought was the conclusion? Or is it because the language of the answer choices is confusing? Can you give us an example?

What I personally suggest for Blind Review, which was probably the most important thing I did that helped me get a 179, is to mark down every question you got wrong after a test by checking the answer sheet quickly but WITHOUT writing down what the correct answer is for each question. Then, go back to the questions you listed as having gotten incorrect and work through them again, seeing if you can figure out the correct answer now with some extra time. Focus on trying to figure out why the answer choice you picked might be wrong, and why another answer choice that you thought was wrong might be right. (And then, check your answer and watch the answer explanation video to see if your updated reasoning was correct)

• Dallas_LSATDallas_LSAT Alum Member
    9 karma

@taschasp said:
    If you are confused when you get to the answer choices, is that because you misidentified what you thought was the conclusion? Or is it because the language of the answer choices is confusing? Can you give us an example?

What I personally suggest for Blind Review, which was probably the most important thing I did that helped me get a 179, is to mark down every question you got wrong after a test by checking the answer sheet quickly but WITHOUT writing down what the correct answer is for each question. Then, go back to the questions you listed as having gotten incorrect and work through them again, seeing if you can figure out the correct answer now with some extra time. Focus on trying to figure out why the answer choice you picked might be wrong, and why another answer choice that you thought was wrong might be right. (And then, check your answer and watch the answer explanation video to see if your updated reasoning was correct)

No, its more like when i go to the answer choices, i can easily remove answers that are not right, however, i always end up have two to three answers left that seem to either sound a lot alike or paraphrases different parts of the argument which confuses me. This always solves itself when i watch the video and realize that it had to be that answer because there is either a word or phrase that throws it off. Should i be practicing more of these question sets? or practicing labeling?

Thank you for the blind review method, I will be trying that from now on.

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2019 796 karma

@Dallas_LSAT said:

@taschasp said:

No, its more like when i go to the answer choices, i can easily remove answers that are not right, however, i always end up have two to three answers left that seem to either sound a lot alike or paraphrases different parts of the argument which confuses me. This always solves itself when i watch the video and realize that it had to be that answer because there is either a word or phrase that throws it off. Should i be practicing more of these question sets? or practicing labeling?

Thank you for the blind review method, I will be trying that from now on.

If it is clear to you why one of the choices was wrong after you check the explanations, then yes, I think just practicing doing more with the blind review method I mentioned would be the way to go. Ultimately you want to keep practicing until you can figure out why those answer choices are wrong without looking at the explanation. You're on the right track!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe study conclusions and keep a wrong answer journal if you're not doing this already. Things will get better if you keep working.