Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice with setting up LSAT study schedule

stephanieflores8094stephanieflores8094 Alum Member
in General 99 karma

Hello,
I plan on taking a year to study for the LSAT and possibly take in June 2020. I was wondering if ya'll recommend studying full time or getting a part time job and study part time. My LSAT score was a 148 and my goal would be to reach the 160s. Any LSAT study tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Get a part-time job! I don't think anyone can productively study 8 hours a day/avoid burnout.

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

@noonawoon said:
    Get a part-time job! I don't think anyone can productively study 8 hours a day/avoid burnout.

I agree with you. Burnt out this year. its physically impossible for me atleast.

• joshowens16joshowens16 Alum Member
    73 karma

I would say you would be safe getting a part time job. Honestly most days I feel like I can only effectively study 2-3 hours at a time. I work as a substitute teacher which Is nice because I work when I want and I have no obligations other than to show up to the class

• workin_itworkin_it Alum Member
    74 karma

Another advocate for working part time. I tried full-time studying and I've found I'm legit getting more done now that I have work four hours a day. My study time is so much more efficient. It helps because your lsat time is set. Waking up in the morning and realizing all I had to do all day was study for the lsat was really overwhelming and didn't go well hahahah. So yes! Get a part time job. Your study time will hardly be effected by it.

• chamayaharrischamayaharris Alum Member
    edited January 2020 15 karma

If working full time, try to get a low maintenance job that does not require you to bring work home. Working full time while studying, does REQUIRE you to be extremely discplined. But as long as you keep at it, you should be fine.

• stephanieflores8094stephanieflores8094 Alum Member
    99 karma

Wow this is great advice ! I have been thinking part time job would help me create balance in my study schedule.

• shapesandspaceshapesandspace Free Trial Member
    69 karma

Hey! Part time jobs will help. If anything, it'll keep you from going crazy over this exam. But one thing I highly recommend is to save the time when you are most productive for the lsat.

• miambodellmiambodell Alum Member
    edited January 2020 30 karma

Hey! I've been working 4 days a week 8:30 to 4 or 5 and I would definitely recommend getting a job. Studying more than 4 hours a day has been proven to not be very beneficial because your brain needs time to process the things you're learning. I'm lucky that, at the law firm I work at, I can usually carve out about an hour each day at work to study, and when I'm bored, playing sudoku is great to get your mind in the logic game mode. What your mind needs is consistency, so study every day if you can--even if that's just 30 minutes at the minimum in a day. I usually can't study when I get home from work because all I do all day is read and analyze, but that's why I don't work Fridays (where I usually get in 2-4 hours of studying) and if I feel inspired I'll take a PT over the weekend! You got this, don't burn yourself out by just studying and not working. It's always nice to have a healthy balance :)

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think if you were going to take it in June, 4 hours a day of thoughtful engagement with the test is enough for sure to get into the 160s. I started out similar to you and reached the 160s after about 4-5 PTS. It took me about a month to go through the CC. So in total, about two months. For me, Im studying full time though, I dont have an official job although I help out at my moms business for maybe an hour or two a day. Other than that, I dedicate time to relaxing and exercising and try to get in about 4-6 hours a day of studying.